Saturday, November 17, 2012

Trip Trip-ups

This luggage thing was driving me crazy!  We wanted to take only one suitcase on our trip to avoid paying for a second bag, since we could take two carry-ons free.  We had returned our son's big suitcase recently so they could have it for a trip to Branson. I asked to borrow it again because it was larger than our suitcase.  "Sure, Mom, I'll bring it over for you," Greg said. 

The one I found sitting on my doorstep was not the big one, but I packed and repacked it anyway, trying to fit in the bare essentials for a week's visit to our daughter in Georgia.  We decided to buy two new carry-ons, but most of the ones in the store exceeded the dimensions I remembered reading in online information.  We finally selected two "pilot" carry-ons, although they seemed kind of dinky.  I put as many of our extra clothes in there as possible, leaving little room for toiletries and other essentials.  This would never do.

When I saw my daughter-in-law Joanna yesterday, I mentioned packing for the trip.  "Did Greg bring you the suitcase?" she asked.  When I told her yes, but it wasn't the big one, she said, "Oh, I know where it is.  I'll get it for you."  Since my husband was going by there today anyway, I asked him to see if they'd located it.

"Did you see this?" Howard called from the porch door when he came home, and I answered, "Oh, you got it," seeing a suitcase beside him.  "Look at it!  It's a new set of luggage!" he exclaimed. I couldn't believe my eyes! "Six Piece Luggage Set," the label read.  Our kids had bought it for us! "They said they were going to give it to us for Christmas, but since we needed it now, it would be an early Christmas present!", my husband explained. 

Wow!  That meant we now had eight new pieces of luggage!  The new set included both a large and medium suitcase, a carry-on and a wheeled duffel, not to mention a travel kit and laundry bag!  The carry-ons were still bigger than the dimensions I'd read, though, so we debated on using the smaller ones we'd bought.  Then I looked up the info again and found I'd made a mistake!  The measurements were for personal items, such as a purse! 

I quickly unpacked the small cases and transferred the contents to the roomy new pieces.  I still had the receipt and tags, so tomorrow we're going to return the ones we purchased. My big purse fits the size requirements for personal items, so it looks like we're all set!   Now I just have to  make sure our liquids are in 3 oz. bottles encased in a quart-size, zip-loc bag, unless we put them  in our checked luggage! 

Despite the stress and inconveniences of travel, the destination will be worth it.  We are looking forward to a blessed Thanksgiving with distant loved ones.  And God has been faithful to see us through all our hindrances and send us help along the way.  Kind of like our eternal goal, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment