Saturday, November 3, 2012

Moments in Time

"Look, a mantis!" 7-year old Kate said as she pointed toward the top of the porch screen.

"Yes," I said, "It's a praying mantis."

"Why do they call it that?" she wanted to know.  I told her to look at its paws, folded as if praying.  "I see it now!  They are!" she exclaimed.  Then her little sister said, "Where?" then, "Oh, I see it, too!"

They had gotten bored with after-school TV shows and joined me on the front porch.  Earlier, Kate had wanted some juice, and when I poured grape juice from the large bottle in the fridge, she surprised me by saying in a conspiratory aside,  "They use this for Jesus's blood, but it really isn't!" before dashing out the door.

Soon they were rearranging decorative bowls holding fall arrangements of fake fruit and vegetables I had on the porch.  Oh, well, they weren't breakable, so I let them play.  Then they used small empty watering pots to "water" them.  I enjoyed watching their childish imaginations at work.  I had been missing my small grandchildren who live far away, and I couldn't help but realize God was helping me fill the gap by watching these newly-adopted grandchildren after school.

In a little while, PaPa wandered out and began strumming his guitar.  Then an idea struck him.  "I want to teach you a song!" he told the little girls.  Kate had wanted to sing during our last church singspiration, and all she knew was "Jesus Loves Me," on which he had accompanied her on the guitar. "You can learn this and sing it at church!" he urged enthusiastically.  He played and sang a couple of lines of "Let the Sunshine In," then had them repeat it.  Before long, they were picking it up.

"Write it down for her, and she will learn it," our son, who had come to pick up the girls by this time, said.  "She  reads really well."  I knew it was true.  I was always amazed by this sharp, articulate child.  She had been chosen last week to demonstrate a 2nd-grade lesson on the computer at a local technology expo, and just today she had brought home a certificate proclaiming her "Star Student of the Week" in her class.

Later, as we were gathering eggs at the farm where we had met their family, I asked 6-year-old Beth if she wanted to see how chickens sleep.  She nodded, and looked in the hen house to see the chickens perched high in rows on their roosting poles.  There is always a teaching moment with kids around.

I saw on the Facebook today that my 14-year-old granddaughter had posted a picture of her brother and herself at the tender ages of 3 and 5.  As teenagers, they get a kick out of sharing their younger pictures with  friends.  Looking at the dear little faces, my eyes misted up. I was overwhelmed by how infinitely precious children are, and indeed every individual.   What an amazing God we have, to fill our lives with people to love!

No comments:

Post a Comment