Thursday, July 21, 2011

Water Marks

“Stay hydrated. Drink deeply of the well of Living Water,” I read on the church sign we passed as we headed out on some errands. Drat! That reminded me that I had left a bottle of semi-frozen H20 I had stuck a straw in on the end table when I picked up the keys to lock up. I had, though, enjoyed a quiet time with Bible reading and prayer earlier.

Howard had wanted to go to Lowe’s to pick up a few more decorative pavers to fill in some places around his fish pond. The display was right inside the entrance of the lawn and garden department, so I was grateful we wouldn’t be out in the sun too long. “I wish I hadn’t left my water,” I said. Just then right above me I saw an igloo jug with a dispenser of paper cone cups beside it. The water was delicious!

What should have been a quick transaction dragged on, as the girl studied the picture manual matching the rocks we selected with the ones in the book and tried to determine prices. I drank more water. A good thing I’d had the Living Water at home. My bargain-seeking husband had the clerk a little confused as he inquired about stones at the back of the store and had the manager searching and checking prices. It was hard, but I managed to curb my impatience.

“I have to get my prescription, too,” my husband announced as we left Lowe’s for Walmart. He had called it in, so I would wait in the truck with the a/c on, I decided. What’s this? He was entering through Lawn and Garden instead of the closer entrance! Irritation tried to surface, but I was glad I didn’t say anything, especially after he came out in a good mood happily telling me that he’d walked through a fine mist of water that had been set up to hydrate customers.

“Let’s stop and get some homegrown tomatoes,” I suggested. He had wanted me to cook a pot of beans and sausage, which I had left simmering on the stove, cooking them early to avoid heating up the house. We could have them for lunch with sliced tomatoes. Good! No one was in the driveway for the pull-through purchases of vegetables. But just as we were to turn in, a car from the other direction went before us. We followed behind it, with three or four cars lining up behind us.

The customer ahead of us was taking her time! Quite old, she had slowly gotten out of the car, seemingly was confused about the tomatoes she put tentatively on and off the scales, then finally painstakingly counted out coins, taking so long her driver got out to assist her, then getting many items herself. “Let’s get out and get in line,” I suggested, “before the people in the other cars do.” Howard said no, we would wait. About that time a person did get out of her car behind us and headed toward a melon display. We then quickly took our place in line behind the first customer. That didn’t keep her from squeezing in ahead of us, though!

I was surely being tested this morning! Finally concluding her purchases, the interloper was putting her wallet away when a gust of wind blew a blizzard of receipts, coupons and papers out of her purse, right past me. Despite my uncharitable thoughts, I grabbed a handful and returned them to her. Thank you, Lord, for that sip of water this morning!

A family member posted something cute on her face book status that I read later. It seemed she was shopping with a small grandson, taking some time to try on clothes. From the dressing room she could hear odd swishing noises as the little boy waited for her. After ten minutes or so, she came out and he said, “Good, I just finished my exercises.” What a sweet example of young masculine patience! Forgive me Lord, for (almost) failing my tests today, but thank You that I squeaked past with a passing grade!

No comments:

Post a Comment