Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Showers of Blessing

Where am I? As they say, what a difference a day makes! For weeks we have been suffering in oppressive heat, but last night clouds gathered with lightning and thunder rumbling during the night, and today, it’s like we’re in a resort! Blue sky, low humidity and pleasant breezes equal porch-sitting weather. I remarked to my husband the other day that we never sit on the porch swing anymore, but it was a perfect spot to read the mail awhile ago.

I had my first “water therapy” this morning, and what an exhilarating experience it was to be in the cooling depths of a spacious, beautiful swimming pool, buoyantly supported by the water as my husband and I paced effortlessly back and forth across it. Here we were, holding hands with irrepressible smiles that came unbidden while the water worked its magic on our sore muscles. At first, we had the pool virtually to ourselves, with only a mom and grandmother with two tots gently splashing.

Later, a small cluster of children arrived, one cannon balling in near me and giving me a splash. Tomorrow, we’re going earlier when only older people will be there, while kids sleep late vacation hours. I was shocked when I got out and felt the heavier weight of gravity pulling me down. Unaccustomed as I was to “swimming”, I wasn’t used to the difference of the water holding me up and how it felt poolside. It reminded me of how one could stride great, bouncy strides on the moon, but on earth, not so much.

Our spirits and bodies refreshed, we had a leisurely lunch out before coming home. It is amazing how the rain has brightened everything up; even dead brown lawns have a hint of green about them, the flowers have perked up and colors are more intense. I particularly love seeing tall stands of giant sunflowers scattered around town. One planting must have had three dozen of the bobbing brown heads encircled with their yellow, scalloped collars peeking over a tall board fence. They hadn’t seemed affected by the heat, but now even our wilting roses and periwinkles are fresh and bright again.

No wonder God’s greatest sign of blessing to His people of old was that he would send rain upon the earth. It’s no different today; water is precious, whether in an eight-ounce glass, or tons of it in swimming water!

No comments:

Post a Comment