Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ripe Fruit

I noticed the young woman kept her eyes downcast at the vegetable stand we stopped at today where she was the cashier. When I picked out a couple of luscious-looking ripe cantaloupes and asked Howard which one he liked best, I noticed a soft spot on one. The attendant felt the melon searchingly, and it was obvious to me then that she was blind. I guided her fingers to the soft spot. “Can you use this melon if I include it with the other?” she offered. We accepted her generosity.

“Are you sightless?” my husband asked, after he handed her a $5 bill and two ones and she asked if the five was on top. She said yes, she was blind, and began telling us about a money-recognition device that was on order for her. Howard asked if we could pray for her, and he led in a prayer for restored sight. I felt the familiar involuntary tightening of my abdominal muscles as I also laid hands on her and prayed.

I read once a testimony of a woman who experienced the same thing when she prayed for the sick. She said it was a sign of the gift of healing. I have often wondered about this and definitely feel it whenever I pray for someone with the laying on of hands. I know there are physical manifestations some people experience when the anointing for healing is on them, such as heat in their hands, or oil on their fingers or palms. I have never experienced this, nor heard of anyone else with the tightened muscle sensations before, until I read it in the article in a church magazine.

Over the years, there have been a few testimonies of realized healing after my prayers, but I have never presumed to have the gift of healing. Nevertheless, when I am conscious of these physical signs, I know they are from the Holy Spirit and pray in faith believing.

I have seen the gift of healing and/or faith in my mother’s prayers. She had many instances where people were healed after she prayed for them. And one of our sons in particular is used at times in the gift of healing.

I believe that Spirit-filled Christians have access to all the spiritual gifts, and any one may be apparent at different times as needed. Perhaps that is my experience. No matter, we are assured that God answers prayer, especially when two or three are gathered together, and we are to pray and receive healing. Jesus will not offer us a stone rather than food, anymore than a caring earthly father would (Matthew 7:9-11). And He is not above including an extra cantaloupe!

No comments:

Post a Comment