Thursday, July 14, 2011

Steadfast

“Until the time that his word came; the word of the Lord tried him.” Psalms 105:19. In his childhood, Joseph had been granted wonderful dreams from God that promised promotion and greatness. Relating these dreams to his family, Genesis 37:5-11, only served to antagonize them and alienate Joseph. Subsequently sold into slavery and separated from his people, it would be some 20 years before Joseph saw his beloved father again, this time as prime minister of Egypt.

God had used the interim years for Joseph’s character development to fit him for the important task He had planned for him, that of preserving God’s people to ultimately bring forth his Son, Jesus Christ, in a plan of salvation for the world. How Joseph must have held on to those dreams during his years of servitude and disgrace! There is no reference to any evidence that Joseph ever gave up on God. But even he could not have imagined the power that he would someday wield, as he remained faithful in unimaginable circumstances.

We heard a sermon on that last night, and I couldn’t help but think how long it sometimes takes for us to realize the dream that God has put into our heart. My husband knew as a youth that he was called to preach the gospel, and although he didn’t broadcast it, it was obvious to nearly everyone that Howard had a call on his life. Plunging into work and life as a young man, he spent more than 20 years in “Egypt”, pouring his youth and strength into a business that he now mostly looks back on as dungeon labor. Through it all, though, he held on to God and remained faithful in his heart. Then a strange set of circumstances that God used for his glory set Howard free to pursue his calling.

God has plans for our lives; the Bible says that he plans to give us a hope and a future. Most people feel in their hearts that there is something special they are to do, but it may take a lifetime to culminate in fulfillment. In reading a book about a missionary called by God at an early age, I am amazed at the trials, and yes, small victories, that he experienced. Each time of testing seemed so hard, but he never doubted he was in God’s will.

I spent 35 adult years raising my children, then 10 more helping with my grandchildren. It is only in the last few years that I have spent time in pursuing and developing my writing, even though the seed was planted many years ago in a college class when I received encouragement from my instructor. I let my gift lie dormant many years, occasionally reviving it in this or that pursuit. But now when I see two books from me lying on my coffee table, I am amazed and awed. No, they’re not world-shaking volumes, just a reassurance to me that God is faithful and that the words of Romans 11:29, “For the gifts and callings of God are without repentance,” still ring true; and the words of Jeremiah 29:11, that assure us God knows His thoughts of us, are still trustworthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment