Monday, June 13, 2011

I See!

I told my husband that we could find the lens that had popped out of his prescription glasses if we cleaned the house thoroughly. It had been missing several days, and we had already scoured every conceivable place he could have lost it, to no avail. I was going on his clue that he had walked into the bedroom and tossed the glasses onto a table. Then when he picked them up later, the lens was gone, so he figured that’s where he had lost it.

Well, he cooperated and vacuumed today while I dusted under beds and behind things. We even bought new Swiffer refills for a clean sweep. Once, I could have sworn I heard a glass-like tinkle when something hit the floor while I was dusting, but I could see nothing. This is like looking for a needle in a haystack, I thought as I went through the contents of a waste basket. We had prayed repeatedly, because we hated to spend hundreds of dollars for a new pair of glasses, and he would have to have them. Reading glasses just don’t do it for him.

I had awakened with laryngitis this morning and couldn’t speak above a whisper all day. Twice I made phone calls to loved ones before remembered I couldn’t talk to them. All they got was a croaked explanation and apology for my having called. Tonight, I decided not to go with Howard to a Bible study at a friend’s house, in case what I had might be contagious. Some people in our church have been having similar problems, so I might have picked it up there.

Even though I wasn’t feeling great, I wanted to finish up some laundry I had started today, so I was folding some clothes while I watched television. Suddenly something caught the light, and I heard a ping on the floor. The lens! They must be praying at the meeting! Thank you, Lord! This meant so much! I had just hung up a pair of Howard’s pants, so the lens could have come from there. Maybe he had put them in his pocket on the way to the bedroom and it had fallen out in the pocket. (My efforts at getting him to retrace his steps had ended in frustration, because he wouldn’t discuss anything other than what he had already told me.)

Several of my face book friends had had an ongoing discussion lately about losing things and the comical places they had found them, often after retracing their steps. I mentioned how that always worked for me, but that we had not been successful in finding Howard’s glasses lens. They probably said a prayer, too, as did all our kids that we mentioned it to.

I couldn’t wait for Howard to come home from the meeting; I had the lens placed strategically on the coffee table to surprise him. He got home a little early, and the first thing he said was, “We prayed for you, and that I would find my lens.” That was my dramatic moment! I held it out and his eyes opened wide in delight as he raised his hands and said, “Thank you, Jesus!” He ran and called our friend and told him of the timely answer to their prayer. Now we are thanking God in faith for the answer to prayer for my voice! I can't afford to lose that, either!

No comments:

Post a Comment