Thursday, June 2, 2011

Fragile! Handle With Care!

“Oh! I left my glasses!” I exclaimed after we’d gone a few miles down the road. We’d just left our son’s house in Houston, and Howard didn’t want to go back.

“Don’t you have some more in your purse?” he asked hopefully, knowing I had lots of readers.

“Not my eyeglasses!” I retorted. “The set of glasses I bought at Sam’s!” Jamie had needed to pick up something at Sam’s Club, and he asked if we wanted to go in with him. I jumped at the chance, having missed the store since there wasn’t one where we live in Oklahoma. We frequented the place regularly in Mississippi, whether for church purchases or our own.

I loved looking at the housewares, and right away I spotted a set of pretty stemware goblets. “Elegant crystal for formal or casual dining,” the package read, and they were only $10. Not that I don’t have plenty of glasses, but Howard loves to drink from stemware, so I put them in my basket, and then in the back of Jamie’s van until we got back to their house.

“Did you unload the glasses and put them in our car?” I asked Howard after we had gone to bed. He said he would do it before we left for home. Well, we had forgotten by that time. Not to worry, our granddaughter Allison, who had gone to Houston with us, stayed on for a few days to help out with babysitting, and her parents would be picking her up at the end of the week. She promised to bring them home with her.

A few days later, I called to chat, and I was surprised to learn that Allison was being picked up a day early by her aunt, who lives in Houston. Allison assured me she had the box of glassware with her and would put them in her parents’ car when they came. Plans changed, and they all decided to meet in San Antonio. My glasses went along.

We were visiting at Greg’s house a couple of nights ago, when Allison left the room and came back carrying a box. She unceremoniously plopped my crystal down on the coffee table in front of me. Babysitting her little cousins was one thing, but babysitting my bargain was a little more than she had bargained for! I will formally apologize by setting a pretty place for her with a too-familiar-goblet when I have them over for dinner soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment