Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Don't Settle!

Hmm. My computer came on quickly and quietly today. Where was that awful humming and clattering I’d been enduring for the last few months? It began when a compact disc got stuck inside and couldn’t be removed by my husband or computer-savvy sons. So every time I turned on the computer, nothing would happen until the disc finished whirring and rattling, a seemingly interminable time, until it finally stopped and I could proceed.

I looked down and saw something protruding from the side of the computer. I touched it, and the disc slid easily into my hand! It had found it’s way out! Thank God, nothing was damaged, and I was spared a service expense. All of a sudden, my computer feels streamlined and efficient again, and I can work effortlessly and smoothly, unhindered by that major irritant.

Isn’t it funny how we learn to make do? Here I was, used to the inconvenience and making allowances for it, biding my time as patiently as possible every time I turned the computer on until I could get on line. I guess it shouldn’t surprise me. I have a history of making-do and accommodating situations like this. For instance, once we moved into a new home, and my dryer was not hooked up for 8 months! I don’t remember why, now, but it was something to do with the connection, which was easily fixed when my husband got to it! Meanwhile, we just got used to going to the dryer at the Laundromat for a family of 5 children!

The next home we bought had a kitchen range in place, but as time went on, first one electric “eye” or burner would go out and then another, until I was finally cooking for our big family on one burner. It took a lot of juggling to get things done on time for supper! Worse than that, though, the oven eventually went out, too, so I improvised by making cakes and baked goods in the microwave for something like 8 years, if I remember right! And my husband managed an appliance store! (Finally, our married son, who had grown up with our inconveniences, bought us a new kitchen range one Christmas!) I guess I’m just not a complainer, or my husband was awfully busy.

I think too often we “settle”, even in matters of spirituality. I saw a teaching by Mark Chironna last night on television about faith and our ability in God. He said faith acts “as if”. As if something were already done or accomplished. He said God calls things that are not, as though they were, and He is our example. Then, in quoting the scripture, “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,” he emphasized the first part of the verse as valid, that we can do all things, not to take away from the last part of the verse. It is his position that we share in God’s creativity.

No doubt that is true to a degree, and it is true that we should set our sights high and not underestimate ourselves. Something that is easy to see in hindsight, but not always when one is young and immature. At any rate, I’m glad my computer is working properly, and even at this late date, I’m realizing that we don’t have to be satisfied, either naturally or spiritually, with the status quo!

No comments:

Post a Comment