Sunday, June 30, 2019

Provision

"Oh, look!" I exclaimed in dismay to my husband. "I think my flowers are dead!" Sure enough, the leaves of  the brilliant zinnias I had put in pots on the porch were withered and wrinkled.  At first, I thought it was from the heat of the sun and figured it would be better when the cool night air came through. However, there was little improvement the next morning.

Resignedly, I poured water into the plants and was surprised when the next time I looked, the flowers had recovered and looked fresh again!

I couldn't help thinking of the Water of Life that Jesus pours into our parched and thirsty souls, refreshing us and giving us a new perspective when we seek Him. Our scowls and frowns relax and our spirit is renewed, just as the wrinkled leaves of the zinnias respond with renewed beauty!

God always gives us more. Recently when the offering bag was passed in my row at church, I remembered some money I had in my purse from the sale of some farm eggs. Although my husband usually contributes, I also did that night. The next day, I received an unexpected amount, more than I had given! The following week, the same thing happened when I gave in the offering. The Lord blessed me again! As my mother always said, "You can't out-give God!"

As I think about it, I recall that on impulse I gave a generous tip to the attendant who did my nails awhile back. Later, after I got my hair done for our granddaughter's wedding, I, uncharacteristically for me,  tipped liberally to the stylist. Her pleased reaction was worth it, and I left feeling good!

When one of our sons was leaving with his family after the wedding, he handed me a couple of restaurant gift cards. We enjoyed one, then a few days later I presented  the other one to a cashier for our lunch. Obviously a new employee, she seemed surprised and couldn't figure out how to make it work.  Finally, her supervisor was called, and after several frustrating moments of pounding and pulling on the cash register, she returned my card and gave us our food at no cost! That means we still have a free meal coming!

I could go on about other unexpected blessings, but suffice it to say, "Jehovah Jireh, my provider," for Jehovah Jireh means "The Lord will provide," Genesis 22:14.

No comments:

Post a Comment