Saturday, December 1, 2018

The Chair

The news of the passing of former president George H.W. Bush and the many remembrances and accolades honoring him made me recall a memory of my own. We were living 50 miles from New Orleans at the time, although Howard drove a company truck to work there every day. He was in the TV and furniture rental business, and one day he had an unusual request for me.

At the time, George Bush, or 41 as he is known, was scheduled to come to New Orleans. He and his entourage were to stay at a certain hotel, New Orleans finest. Arrangements were made, and Howard got a call from the Hotel. They needed to rent a living room set, end tables, etc.,to accommodate these important guests.

They sent someone to select the furniture, and Howard showed them an attractive sofa that was chosen. I had an identical set at home. The only problem was that he didn't have the matching chair. My resourceful husband assured them he would have it delivered the next day. Believe it or not, he took the chair from my living room, assuring me he would get it back in a few days!

Sure enough, he brought it home and placed it in the living room in a corner in front of our bookcase wall where one of the children could usually be found curled up in its depth under a reading lamp. We got to calling it the President's chair. "Go ahead and sit in it," I teased, "You may grow up to be President!"

Well, that hasn't happened (yet), although the one who loved the chair most, who usually sat with his leg flung over the chair's arm, does work for the government! Seriously, though, I am so grateful that they do serve the King of Kings, as do their children, who are teaching their little ones the Way, an honor higher than any earthly role!


No comments:

Post a Comment