Tuesday, May 6, 2014

World without End, Amen!

The picture was of my mom and dad, heads together and smiling, his arm around her shoulder, standing in front of their  rose-covered porch trellis. It is a precious picture from a time when they were younger and in good health.  My niece had posted it on our family page, and although I've seen it many times, I'm always moved by it.  "Love it," I wrote back, "Now they are together where the roses never fade."

A few seconds later I read her comment, "I was just going to write that!"  Someone else wrote that it sounded like a song, and I shared that it was an old song that my husband's dad used to sing, although I didn't remember the words.  Not long after, the title, Where the Roses Never Fade, appeared on the screen, along with a video of the song being sung by a talented artist.  My niece said she Googled it.  What instant communication and information at our finger tips!

This morning, our rose bush, which only a few days ago had its first blossoms, was bursting with beautiful flowers.  I just had to take a phone picture of it and send it to my daughter in Georgia.  Earlier, I had clipped a bouquet to fill my two tall vases on the dining room table.  My phone beeped with Amy's text reply: "Beautiful!" Then I sent her a shot of the ones on the table, and instantly she texted, "Mom, I  picked some from my rose bushes this morning and took them  in the house, too!"   Then she wrote, LOL, and I laughed, too, that mother and daughter were on the same wavelength.

Yesterday my husband let me out in front of Walmart to get out of the wind while he parked the car.  Killing time to wait for him and noticing the racks of Mother's Day cards displayed prominently near the entrance, I began to browse through them.  One in particular caught my eye.  It was very large and attractive with trees, flowers and birds on the front.  When I opened it, I was surprised by a pop-up scene of  a cottage, trees, flowers and a rainbow. The distinctive music of What a Wonderful World with the voice of Louis Armstrong pealed out, singing of seeing trees of green, and red roses, too.

The song had  become familiar and dear to me when Amy's family had it as the background for a dvd they made for us one Christmas.  A montage of photos of their children at different ages melted my heart and forever embedded that tune in my mind. Yes, it's a wonderful world, but how much more wonderful will it be in heaven, where the roses never fade, communication will be instant, and we will know as we are known?


No comments:

Post a Comment