Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Heritage of the Lord

Awards day!  When our son Jamie was in second grade, his teacher sent home a notice of an Awards Day in their class, just like the high school.  I was excited to go and see what award he might be getting.  I knew he was a good student, and very creative.  I sat down eagerly on one of the small chairs arranged for the group of parents, mostly mothers, who appeared just as proud and expectant as I was.

The teacher began by calling out the award for "Best Speller."  That had to be Jamie, I thought, since he made A's in spelling.  No, it went to someone else.  "Best Reader" came up, and again he was passed over. When  "Best Writer" wasn't his either, I began to wonder.  How could that be?  On and on the presentations went, then "Best Artist" came up.  A cinch!  Wrong!  My plastic smile was beginning to fade.  What was wrong with this teacher?  A sickening feeling came over me.  What if he didn't get anything?

Finally, all awards were given out.  Then the teacher said, "We have one very special award," and she handed it to Jamie.  In big letters I read, "Super Student Award" on the large, decorative document.  I breathed a sigh of relief, wiped my brow and grabbed the hand of my unconcerned offspring and headed home.

Fast forward 30 years.  Yesterday was graduation and Awards Day at the Home School Enrichment program our grandchildren attend weekly.  Jamie's little girl, Maddie, was graduating Pre-K, and Anne-Marie was completing first grade. Daddy, Mommy and Nana were there. Jamie called me last night, and I asked how the program went.

"That's what I wanted to tell you," he began.  I couldn't see his face, but it sounded like he was smiling.  "The teacher said Maddie was very social, and excelled in instructing the other students.  (The little red-head can be quite assertive!)

"What about Anne-Marie?" I asked, to which he replied,  "Well, there were 17 students, and we waited through award after award, wondering why Anne-Marie hadn't received one. Finally," he went on, "She was next to the the last one left, and the teacher called her up and gave her an award."

The suspense was killing me.  "What kind?" I asked, and with a chuckle, he said, "A  'Super Achievement Award!'" De ja vu! "Now you know how I felt when you were in 2nd grade!" I exclaimed, to which he said with a chuckle, "I know, I was telling Tammy about that."

"Her teacher told us,'Anne-Marie could run this school!'" (Must take after her mother, a Type A personality in top management in her career.)

If parents are so pleased when their children excel, think how God must feel when we do well! His love for us far outweighs parental love! "Yea, I have loved thee with an everlasting love: therefore with lovingkindness I have drawn thee," Jeremiah 31:3. Better than the best award!

No comments:

Post a Comment