Monday, May 5, 2014

The Handiwork of God

I had been saving a ham bone to cook with beans.  It was quite large and I was waiting for my husband to cut it in two so  I could use half of it. Since he was busy, I decided to do it myself, separating the bone at the joint.  It actually popped out pretty easily, and all I had to do was cut through the fibrous thingy holding it together.

I was amazed as I looked down at the glistening ball and socket joint of the shank ham. Such a beautiful piece of God's creation!  Perfectly designed and looking like a work of art chiseled in marble. One of the Creator's masterpieces that had never seen the light of day!

God has so many marvels that are there for us to see and enjoy, and many that we may never see, but that have been recorded in pictures or films by others.  I think of the Blue Planet series of television presentations that document the awe-inspiring happenings in our oceans.  Dramatic, beautiful marine life goes on outside the realm of our land environment.

It's a whole 'nother world down there! Gorgeous colors, infinitely compelling scenarios of survival, and evidence of divine intelligence are present, especially  in the clever defense mechanisms of fish and other creatures.  The movie,  Finding Nemo, portrayed with amazing accuracy the species and habits of fish and other aquatic creatures.

In Job 38:16, God asks Job, "Hast thou entered into the springs of the sea? or hast thou walked in the search of the depth?"  Then in Job 41:1, He asks, "Canst thou draw out Leviathan with an hook, or  his tongue with a cord which thou lettest down?" Verse 11(b) reminds him, "Everything under the whole heaven is mine."

Today I was in my backyard hanging sheets to dry on the clothesline.  I hadn't been out there in a while, and I was impressed at the accidental  beauty of it.  Small purple flowers peeked out from the glossy leaves of ground cover that was trailing along the fence line. Garden statuary, one a verdant green, stood watch over our neglected fish pond encircled by the flat stones we had laid a few years ago. Perhaps this will be the year we re-stock it and again spend mesmerizing summer hours watching the ripple of  goldfish, and koi playing hide-and-seek in the waving moss of our own little piece of God's creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment