Friday, May 23, 2014

Jonah and the Whale, or Howard and the Whale Bone

Pondering what to have for supper last night, I was considering options with my husband.  Then I said, "Or I could fry those fish in the freezer."  Howard was enthusiastic.  He'd been looking forward to eating the latest catch from the farm pond.  Our friend had caught them the other day, and since he'd rather catch than clean, he gave them to Howard, who rather enjoys cleaning fish.

They were delicious.  I especially liked the tasty little bream, although I found the bones a bit troublesome. Howard ate eagerly and after supper offered to do the dishes, which he did get around to eventually.  By this time I was lying down.  At one point he came into the room shaking the water from his hands and startled me by saying, "I have a fish bone stuck in my throat!"

"Oh, no!" I exclaimed.  "Do you think you should go to the ER?"  He said he would wait and try to cough it up.  A while later, he said it wasn't bothering him anymore, so I stopped worrying about it and went to sleep.

In the middle of the night, Howard got up and went into the kitchen, taking his Bible, a normal pattern for him in praying and studying the Word.  This morning he said, "Thelma, the most amazing miracle happened in the kitchen last night!"  I couldn't wait to hear it, thinking he would say he felt the presence of God in a strong way, something that happens to him quite often.

"That bone in my throat was really hurting," he said, pointing to the side of his neck.  I hadn't realized it was that deep!  "I was reading the Bible in Hosea 6:1, where it says, 'Come, and let us return unto the Lord: for he hath torn, and he will heal us; he hath smitten and he will bind us up'" he went on.  "And then in James, where it says the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up," he continued.

"Suddenly," Howard exclaimed, "I felt something on my tongue!  I reached in and pulled the bone out!"  He was exultant, and so was I!  Praise the Lord!  "It was a miracle!" he said in awe, "Like the time the rock flew out of Michaela's ear, or the time the angel caught Caleb falling out of a tree!"

Yes, I remembered the oft-told story of when our 4-year-old granddaughter was complaining of her ear, and her mother discovered she had put a rock in it.  No amount of trying would remove it, although Julie could hear the ping when she touched it with the tweezers.  Her husband Steve laid his hand on her ear  and prayed, claiming the scripture in Mark 11:23, "That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the  sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that  those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatever he saith."  Suddenly he felt something hit his palm, and knew it was gone, as affirmed by the doctor at the ER.

6-year-old Caleb lost his footing on the limb of tree in their front yard and was falling to the ground, when he stopped in mid-air, then was lowered gently to safety.  His brother, Joshua, witnessed it, saying wonderingly, "Caleb, were you flying?"  They rushed in where Caleb told Julie, "Mom, I fell out of the tree, but God caught me!"

I'm glad God is still in the miracle-working business!

No comments:

Post a Comment