Friday, January 31, 2014

Hydration

"Oh!" I gasped, "What happened to my flowers?"  I didn't recognize my primroses!  Always so sunny and colorful with their hardy green foliage, they looked shrunken, with the wilted blossoms shriveled and the stems stretching tautly upward.  They needed water!

I remembered the day a week or so ago when I had spotted the small pots at the grocery store: gorgeous, almost Disney-esque blossoms in primary of colors red and yellow, and another pot of technicolor pink, straight out of a child's coloring book.  And they were only 98 cents!  I really didn't know what they were, but on the fancy label hidden in the leaves was scrolled the words, Primroses.

Looking up info on them when I got home, I found that they are among the earliest flowers to bloom, thus the name, "prim," as in primary.  Advice was to enjoy them as house plants, then to discard them when they finished blooming, or they could be planted outside.  Instructions were to keep the soil damp, but not soaked, further noting that wilted leaves or blossoms indicated thirst.

I must not have noticed the plant on the bookshelf for a few days, since I had moved the other one to the bedroom and watered it.  Immediately I doused it with water. Now, not more than an hour later, it has perked up! The leaves are plump and green, and the little dried out blooms are regaining their beauty!  All because of water!  H20! Or h2o, the chemical symbol for water, meaning 2 parts hydrogen and one part oxygen.

The other day I saw a symbol for Oklahoma State University on a bottle of water, I think a basketball team insignia, with a play on the chemical symbol for water.  The label said, "H2-OSU!"
A thirst quencher, for sure!

Without water, we and all living things on earth would perish.  The earth is over 70% water, and our bodies reflect that percentage, as well, with the average body 55-75% water.

Jesus talks about living water in the Bible.  When he asked the woman at the well for a drink, he said that if she had known who he was, she would have asked him for a drink, for his was living water, or the gospel of salvation.  She became the first evangelist, hurrying to the city to tell of Jesus, who told her all she had ever done.

In John 4:14 Jesus says, "But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." My plants may die, but they won't die of thirst.  And while they are living, their cheery colors will brighten their corner, even as our lives are filled with the brightness and joy of the Living Water.

No comments:

Post a Comment