Sunday, January 19, 2014

Wordsmith

"I've been reading your book, and I couldn't put it down!" said a lady in church this morning as she touched my arm during greeting time.  "I got so tickled in the story about the coffee," she went on. I asked her which book that was in, and when she told me, I remembered that I had written about having to smell coffee beans when trying out perfumes.

"We do that with our soaps, too!" she exclaimed, to which I asked, "Do you make soap?"  She said she does, apparently with her daughter.  "They are perfumed, and you have to sniff the coffee beans to be able to smell the different fragrances," she explained. And to think we had gone to church with her for six months, and I had no idea she made soaps! And I still wouldn't have known if she hadn't read my book!

I had gotten an invitation to go to an area church LIFE rally from a friend who had moved to a bigger city and was now director of this women's missionary support organization.  I found out that vendors were invited to show their wares as an incentive to boost attendance.  Supposedly there were things like homemade crafts, sachets and soaps.  Well, I reasoned, my books were home made crafts, so I took them and set up a display. (That is where my friend bought a couple of the books.)

But it wasn't just about homemade crafts!  There very elaborate booths with everything from Mary Kay cosmetics, Pampered Chef products, jewelry, Mexican salsa and purses to Plexus Slim, to name a few!  Time was given for shopping before and after the program and dinner.

After deciding almost at the last minute to participate, I had to quickly gather my materials.  It had been over a year since I'd attended a book fair or had a book signing, besides which we had moved in the meantime, so some reconstructing of my supply list was necessary.  I got out about 25 books and sorted them, then I found my folded display panel.  But where were the book posters?  I accidentally ran on to them in the bottom of a drawer while looking for something else.   Thank you, Jesus!

Checking with the vendor specifications, I learned I would need a table cover.  I got out the cloth I had used on previous occasions, but it seemed a little lackluster.  If I could only find something else, like a throw or mat of some kind, I mused, looking through the linen closet.  Passing by the dining room table, my eyes fell on the velvet, chenille throw I had arranged there after removing Christmas centerpiece decor. Perfect!  Again, a grateful "thank you" heavenward!

Finally I was almost ready:  Books boxed, money envelope for making change, pen, notepad, business cards and table decor. I still needed some way to transport a professional author/publicity poster.  It was too big for any manila envelope or folder we had, and just as my husband was going out the door to get me something suitable at the stationery store, I noticed a cloth satchel that worked perfectly.  I couldn't find the easel to hold it, then I remembered a smaller walnut easel I had just re-discovered a few days ago.  Things were surely falling to place!

I was so glad I went to the event!  Not only was the evening fun and inspirational, the food, cooked and served by men of the host church, was tasty, and I enjoyed meeting the nice people who visited my book table.  I sold several books, and others took cards with the possibility of getting them online or at the bookstore, and all of them heard about it when it was introduced by the director as one of the give-away items she required.  I had prayed that the Lord would bless those reading the books. and that other avenues or venues would be available.  I can't wait to see how He answers these prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment