Friday, January 24, 2014

"One Man's Trash is Another Man's Treasure"

My house has a new look!  Well, not the whole house, but I've added a couple of special touches. Been shopping?  No, just rediscovered a few things while helping our son move.  I ran onto some items I had left at their house when we lived with them briefly a couple of years ago.

"Oh, that's mine!" I exclaimed aloud to myself when I saw a beautiful, octagonal mirror with a gold-finished wood frame in the back of a closet. Funny, I hadn't missed it, but I had bought it at a designer store in Mississippi over 10 years ago!

A few minutes later, I spied a huge, clear glass container that I couldn't resist at an estate sale back then.  I had put it on my daughter-in-law's kitchen counter, thinking the she probably had a lid to fit, and that she might use it for storage.  I guess she never found one, because it was in the floor of the closet, too.  "Can I just have this?" I asked our son, who answered, "Take it."

A little later I almost bumped my foot against a vintage cast-iron cornbread mold that I remembered paying $7.50 for at an estate sale.  (I had thought the sticker said 75 cents!)  I must have left that there, too!

Well, the mirror looks gorgeous over a piece in my dining room, adding a whole new depth and sparkle to the space that formerly held a boring landscape.  But what to do with the glass jar?  Too big to store spaghetti or other pasta, and then there was the matter of the lid.  Wheat fronds? Flowers? Sea shells?  My mind cast about for ideas.

Then I saw a basket of miniature oranges on the table.  Perfect!  I dumped them in, filling the jar more than a third full, where they glowed jewel-like in the sparkling glass.  What a nice spot of color, especially when I placed a small pot of orange-and-yellow primroses in a huge granite mug lettered "KITCHEN" beside them.

My husband can't wait for me to use the heavy cornbread pan, looking forward to the crispy, golden sticks shaped like little ears of corn.  (If I remember right, he was the one behind the purchase in the first place!)

We're supposed to help in the moving again today, and I wonder what treasures and discards I can bring home?  I wish I could make room for an armoire they are not taking, as well as a white corner storage unit they are leaving.  My mind is whirling with with rearrangement possibilities, but I like the quote I saw in a decorating magazine once about flea market finds: "If you love it, you can always find a place for it!"  I only hope my spouse agrees!

No comments:

Post a Comment