Saturday, May 25, 2013

Young Life

Our baby banty chickens are hatching!  The one day I don't go with my husband to tend the chickens, he comes back with the news that there are four miniature black balls of fluff chirping beside the faithful mama banty hen!  Frankly, I had thought they weren't going to hatch, when 21 days had come and gone with no pipping of the tough little shells.  I urged the little black hen off the nest every day for a week with no news.  Just goes to show you the truth of the old saying, a watched pot never boils!

Howard has been wanting an incubator, but I prefer nature's way with a built-in caretaker of the "biddies," as my oldest grandson has always called them.  I wish he could see the chicks, but he and the rest of my daughter's family live in Tennessee. The distance kept us from attending our granddaughter's graduation there today, as well as the high school graduation of our youngest daughter's son in Georgia, also today.

We can't be everywhere at once, but at least we can see pictures of our grandchildren almost in real time on Facebook.  We have small grandchildren, too, and it is the highlight of my day when I get a message or post with something funny or brilliant they have said or done.  Maddie, our four-year-old granddaughter, keeps me in stitches.  The other day she said of avocados, "Daddy, these black things have guacamole inside them!"

I saw something from Facebook that a witty little girl somewhere put on her school paper.  It was a math test, and the third-grader solved the problem by writing 9x9=Hossa.  Her teacher was mystified, until it was pointed out to her that that was the name of the child's favorite hockey player in the Chicago Blackhawks, NHL, whose number was 81!

That sounds like something my granddaughter would do if she were older!  The other day she saw a monster insignia above a popular energy drink and asked, "If  you drink that, will it turn you into a monster?"  Our son reports that they saw a snake recently, and Maddie was full of questions about it.  I wonder what she would say if saw one of our baby chicks hatch?

No comments:

Post a Comment