Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Showers of Blessing

"Look at that!" I said to my husband as we passed a local plant nursery outlet.  "Did you see the flowers in the watering cans?"  They were so cute!  Brightly painted watering pots were filled with colorful plantings overflowing and  spilling blossoms over the sides.  Howard didn't see them, but promised we would stop on the way back.

Of course!  It was for Mother's Day!  When we stopped later, I pointed to a lovely pink watering can filled with purple flowers.  "You could get me that for Mother's Day," I hinted.  Then I asked the proprietor how much they were.  Wow!  $39.95!  We decided to think about it, and today Howard told me he was getting me one.

Meanwhile, the thought occurred to me that we have a beautiful watering can at home somewhere.  We could paint it, and make one for a fraction of the cost, I reasoned, but I didn't say anything to him, because I hadn't seen the pot for a long time.  This morning, after a trip to Lowe's for something for one of his backyard projects, Howard said, "You know we have a watering pot in the garage I could paint." 

Back to Lowe's for a can of pink spray paint! Then to the garden department for flowers.  I know that girl, I thought, as someone was coming in as we headed to the outdoor display.  "Hi," I  said, as recognition dawned on me.  She responded, and I said, "Delores?"  Then she recognized us and laughed, saying she had been to Lowe's the day before, and they had had plants at the back for half-price.  She was back to pick some up. 

Really?  We hurriedly turned our cart around and followed her and soon had our cart filled with amazing bargains, even a pot of flowing purple petunias that would be perfect in our can!  Those empty planters at home would look great with the marigolds, petunias and vincas I found.  And tiny pots of green and white coleus would be just right in a 4-pot holder I have on the porch.

My thoughtful husband called me into the back yard later, and I couldn't believe how pretty the watering pot turned out, looking sharp and sophisticated with its arched black handle and the coat of stylish pink paint.  Not only that, he had spray-painted a smaller water pot in the yellow-green of our wicker table that was absolutely adorable with a heart-shaped cut-out on either side.

I'm so glad I followed the impulse to speak to the girl!  (Impulse, or the guidance of the Holy Spirit?)  For less than the Mother's Day arrangement the nursery was selling, I will have two gorgeous watering pot planters, as well as a hanging basket I can do (we also got potting soil) and several other planters filled with flowers!  Thank you, Lord, who gives us the desires of heart and has a heart for mothers!




No comments:

Post a Comment