Friday, April 19, 2013

The Gift

"What can I send you for your birthday?" I asked my daughter, Amy.  For the past few years, trips to Georgia had coincided with her birthday and I was able to hand deliver a present, usually something I thought would look pretty in her house.  But this year, I had no clue.  I thought of a gift card, but she would as likely as not use it on her kids.

"Oh, nothing, Mom," she said placatingly.  "Birthdays at my age just come and go."  Well, that would never do!  I had bought her a card days ago, but I couldn't think of anything to send.  Then I remembered a book I had enjoyed and looked all over the house for it.  She was sure to like that.  It was no where to be found.  Besides, it was quite bedraggled, so I was resigned to sending just the card.

Then it hit me!  I could order the book online and have it sent directly!  I looked it up and placed the order.  For a fee, they would guarantee two-day delivery, but her birthday was still four days away, so I chose the standard shipping speed.  I sent her card immediately, telling her to watch for the book that was coming.

The next day I got a text on my phone that my order was on the carrier.  Yesterday morning a text advised me it had been shipped.  Yesterday afternoon I was surprised to read that it had been delivered!  I tried to call Amy to tell her to check her mailbox, but I couldn't reach her.  Finally I got her on the phone last night to explain the situation and ask if she had gotten the package yet.

"Why, thank you, Mom," she said in surprise.  "We haven't checked the mail, but I'll send Corrin to the mailbox right now!"   She said they were sitting on the porch swing, barefoot on a beautiful, warm late afternoon.

"Are you kidding?  You mean it's still daylight there?" I exclaimed.  "It's frigid here, cloudy, windy and disagreeable!  I had to wear my wool winter coat shopping today!"  She laughed and said Corrin was on her way back from the road, trying to act as if nothing came.  She called her to hurry, and soon had the box in her hand.

"Oh, I love it!" Amy exclaimed.  "I'd been wanting something to read tonight, with Shannon out umpiring a baseball game," she said.  "Now it seems like my birthday!" 

The book got there before the card, which would probably not come until her actual birthday!  Well, better early than late, I thought, as I hung up on a warm note of satisfaction.  The book was Two from Gallilee, The story of Mary and Joseph, a new copy of an old book with the story that never grows old!

No comments:

Post a Comment