Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Murphy's Law

"I'm going to the farm to meet Greg," my husband said Saturday morning. I didn't mind, I was moving slowly and wanted to shampoo and do my hair anyway.  Also, I thought it would be a good time to make some leisurely phone calls.  I'd been wanting to talk to our daughter Amy, but there was no answer.  They all have cell phones, so I tried Shannon, her husband.  Silence.  Neither daughter picked up, either, so as a last resort, I called our grandson Reid.  When he didn't respond, I got into the tub and put a glob of shampoo on my wet hair.  Just then the phone rang.

"Mimi, did you call?" Reid queried.  I explained the scenario to him and he was clueless about his family's whereabouts.  "I'm at work," he said.  Okay.  I finished up and had donned my robe with a towel around my head when Howard came home wanting to take a shower.  (We have only one bathroom.) I would do my hair in the bedroom.  I had barely started, when I heard a thudding crash.  Workmen had been making loud noises all morning doing street repair, so I thought it was that. 

"Come and help me!" I heard from the bathroom.  Oh, no, he must have fallen! I thought, rushing down the hall.  Howard was half-sitting and half lying on the floor, tangled up in the shower curtain with the shower rod and hooks entangled, too.  He had slipped in the tub. At least he wasn't hurt!  But I couldn't get the curtain unwound because he was on part of it.  I finally freed him, and seeing he was okay, I went to answer the ringing phone.

No, it wasn't Amy, but a dear friend who had moved away a couple of months ago. I had to talk to him, so there I was, hair damp and stiff with mousse while we visited until Howard came to talk to him.  Someone with a local number I didn't recognize had been buzzing in, but I would call them back later. Turns out it was an elderly lady at church.  "The reason I let it ring so long was that I was waiting for the answering machine to pick up," she said guilelessly.

It was past noon by the time I rescued my hair and we finally got ourselves together.  I had been wanting to find a casual spring outfit to wear to our future granddaughter-in-law's shower next Saturday, so, even though it was grey and chilly, I hit several stores.  How frustrating!  Anything I liked, they didn't have in my size, or if I found pants, I couldn't match a top with them.  One outfit was a possibility, but it needed sandals, and it might rain the day of the shower (no pun intended). 

If  it turns cool, a pair of the new pastel sneakers would be nice with it, I thought.  The store didn't have any of the right color, nor did the next two stores.  I tried the clothes on at home with some sandals I hadn't worn yet, and they worked!  Now if only it won't rain on Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment