Saturday, April 27, 2013

That Your Joy May Be Full

I just received a beautiful wedding invitation!  The lovely script on the envelope  with our names and address gave way to another creamy envelope inside with a personalized Pawpaw and Mimi on it. Our grandson, Grant, is getting married!

Not only that, we are expecting an invitation to our granddaughter Michaela's wedding soon--two weddings in June!  (Not to mention two highschool graduations in May!) Lots of  happy family celebrations are in store as our crop of grandchildren are becoming young adults.

Jesus attended a wedding in Cana as recorded in the Bible in John 2:1.  An embarrassing event occured when they ran out of wine, giving occasion for Jesus's first miracle.  Apparently it would have seemed inhospitable in that culture and reflected badly on the family to have inadequate preparation for such a celebration.

The other night I had a puzzling dream in which I had a lot of company sitting around my table set with nice dishes and water glasses.  I turned to one of my guests and saw she was not drinking from a glass, but from something that looked like a vase!  I immediately went to find her a proper glass out of my considerable stock of glassware.

With consternation, I saw  that the first glass I picked up had a chip in it.  I went to another set and selected another glass, but it had a chip in it, too!  I went from cupboard to china cabinet to dining room hutch with the same results.  I couldn't figure it out, but it was embarrassing.  Then I noticed one of the guests was in a wedding dress.  I particularly noticed her pretty white shoes as she lifted the hem of her gown to show them to me.  (Perhaps that was because I had been looking for shoes for the upcoming weddings.)

Later, as I reflected on my dream I thought about the marriage supper of the Lamb, and how there will be no imperfections there.  Jesus is coming for a bride without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, Ephesians 5:27.  In offering my guest a glass of water with a chip or crack, I was offering her a leaky vessel.  To offer the water of life to sinners, our own vessel must not be leaky nor our testimony drained away.  We are to be continually filled with the Spirit!

Another small envelope was tucked into Grant and Jessica's invitation, an RSVP for dinner and dancing in the evening a few hours after the ceremony and cake reception at church. Dancing?  Well, I'm sure they had dancing at the wedding Jesus attended, and what occasion is more jubilant than a wedding when joy spills over right down to your feet?  I'm not a dancer, but I'm sure I'll enjoy watching the young people in their gaiety and hilarity in the euphoria that goes with a wedding!  After all, I have a personalized invitation!

No comments:

Post a Comment