Tuesday, December 13, 2011

"I Can Live on a Good Compliment for Two Months" --Mark Twain

“At your convenience, could I have a warm-up of my coffee?” Howard asked the waitress as he left the table and headed toward the dessert bar at the buffet where we were having a Sunday lunch.

“Oh yes,” I heard her say, then, “You’re polite!” Then she turned to fill his coffee cup, and said to me, “Your husband is polite!” It seemed she didn’t run into much of that in her everyday restaurant service.

“Yes,” I agreed. “He has good manners.” (I think he makes up for me; unfortunately, everything I say seems to come out rather bluntly!) My husband has always had a pleasing way with people, and it is rewarding to me when they obviously appreciate it. We enjoyed our meal, and the young waitress was kind and solicitous whenever she passed our table.

As we were leaving and I was gathering my coat and gloves, she again remarked to me on Howard’s cordiality. “You are a fortunate wife,” she said, her warm brown eyes sparkling. Just a teenager, maybe she was taking notes on what she might want in a husband someday.

“I know,” I said, “we’ve been married 53 years.” His thoughtfulness and the ways of a true gentleman were part of the reason I was attracted to him in the first place, not to mention his love for the Lord.

“Fifty-three years!” she exclaimed in surprise. “Why, you look in your early fifties yourself! I would never have guessed that!” When I protested, she said, “Well, maybe in your mid-fifties.” This was a girl after my own heart! I enjoyed her reaction when I told her my age, and then I added, “We have 6 children and 18 grandchildren!” forgetting to mention that we are also great-grandparents now.

“You must have a happy life!” she concluded. I told her that indeed, I do. After this many years, the rough spots and difficult times have softened in memory to inconsequential ripples on the (mostly) smooth seas of matrimony. We are very thankful for the Lord’s blessings on our life together and give Him the glory. I’m still working on patience and my abruptness, but I doubt I’ll ever have the charm of my spouse. After all, if we were just alike, one of us would be unnecessary!

No comments:

Post a Comment