Friday, December 16, 2011

Do Unto Others

How pretty! I thought as I saw the glasses gleaming on the table. That morning, I had been emptying my china cabinet, putting things away for storage. How did I accumulate so much stuff?!! I had already filled several boxes with china, crystal and glassware.

Maybe my daughter-in-law would like these, I mused. One less thing to pack. I don’t think I had ever used the gold-rimmed glasses, just admiring them through the glassed doors sitting on the shelves. I gave them to her, and here they were, sitting on her dinner table sparkling in the light with company for supper. Everything looked so festive, filling me with the warm glow of generosity.

That was last night. Today my warm, fuzzy feelings seemed to evaporate with the morning light. Impatience and frustrations over minor irritations, including a non-responsive computer spoiled my mood and made me short with my husband. We had set out on an errand, and he pulled into the bank at the drive-through window, where I was in no mood to see the chatty teller. I kept silent as he returned her friendly greeting, shrinking back against the car seat to avoid her glance.

This sure is taking a long time, I thought as Howard waited for his deposit slip. Just then I saw the two tellers emerge from their booth and come outside, one bearing a large tray filled with slices of pecan-laden pumpkin bread, Christmas cookies, candy and other treats and the other carrying two paper cups of hot cider. I had to smile and put on a gracious face for their unexpected kindness, but I was still nursing my bad temper as we headed to Walmart.

It seemed the atmosphere was unusually festive in the store; even the bell-ringers at the door were more cheerful and jovial than usual. Then a smiling lady I didn’t even recognize hailed me and asked me about my grandchildren. We exchanged small talk, and I remembered who she was just before she pushed her cart away.

Was God trying to shame me out of my childish behavior by letting everyone be so nice to me? Or was He just letting me know that He cared for me? Even my husband became cooperative and dropped off my computer to be fixed; it was ready by this evening. I had been letting my happiness be dependent on what happened to me. Thank you, God, that your joy doesn’t depend on circumstances, but that there is joy in blessing others.

No comments:

Post a Comment