Thursday, December 1, 2011

Gratitude

My youngest son, Jamie, called me last night to thank me for his birthday card. He will be 36 day after tomorrow. I just remembered I was 36 when he was born! That means I'm twice as old as he is! Okay, I've told my age.

I was bouyed, though, when my husband and I were at the prescription window today. The assistant asked for his birthday, and he gave her the old run-around. He usually gives them the month and day, but gives a ridiculously recent year. She remembered him, though, and said suspiciously, "You're the one who does something with 32... or 38, aren't you?"

"Thirty-eight," I chimed in. "He doesn't like to give his age, but that's when he was born." She said in surprise that he looked young, and I agreed. Then I had to tell her the year I was born, and she looked at me askance.

"For real?" She said. "You're 72?" She didn't believe me, to my delight, but I thanked her anyway.

"What is your secret?" she asked after we had convinced her we were telling the truth, "You two don't look your age at all!"

"Clean living, married 53 years," I shrugged, then added, "and serving God," while my husband announced, "Six kids and 18 grandkids!"

"Very attractive couple," she said, shaking her head.

Wow! I walked on air all the way to the car. I knew she was used to seeing a lot of sick people who were probably at their worst, but her words still made me feel good.

When I got in the car, I admitted to my husband that we have a lot to be thankful for. Active, and in relatively good health, we don't often feel our age. Then I thought about the amazing family we are blessed with, and I couldn't hold back the tears. We are so thankful that they all serve the Lord, and have brought up their children to serve Him, too.

Although we are widely scatterd, we have peace and harmony with all our children, their spouses and families, and they all love and appreciate one another. I know that that can be a rarity, these days.

My husband is fond of quoting Proverbs 10:22, which says, "The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich, and he addeth no sorrow with it." I have always down-played compliments on our family, not wishing to appear prideful, but I must acknowledge the goodness of God and the truth of His Word. He has enriched us in so many ways apart from money. We have always had enough and some to share, the children learned the work ethic early on, and we have remarkable grandchildren. Thankfully, our sorrows have been few, and our blessings have been many. That makes getting old worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment