Monday, January 14, 2019

Long Distance

Returning home after a nice lunch out after church, I wanted to make a phone call and reached for my purse. My phone wasn't there! I checked my coat pocket, even going outside to look in the car. I was starting to feel panicky, realizing my phone was missing. I was about to tell my husband that I must have left it in the restaurant when my grandson Adam came down stairs.

"Dad just called," he announced of our son who had gone to Louisiana for work. "He said Perkins called him and said they had your phone." What? They had seen his name on my call list, and he in turn called Adam, since he couldn't call me! What a long way around!

Once before I had left my phone at a book store in Houston! Such a terrible feeling it is to be disconnected from your phone, your means of communication, your information and all your important numbers, let alone feeling your privacy has been invaded! Thankfully the book store held the phone for me until I could pick it up, and the restaurant did the same.

Sometimes we can feel disconnected even when we are surrounded by people. Maybe we have something on our mind and/or are oblivious to what others may be experiencing. It's almost like a missed call or a wrong number!

The old song "The Royal Telephone" from the early sixties, makes comparisons of our heavenly communication and the phone. It says the line is never busy and you can feel the current moving! And you can't be disconnected!

The old phones couldn't be mislaid, either, for they were attached to the wall instead of being in pocket, purse, or automobile! Sometimes I mislay my Bible. Not that we don't have several, but it is distressing when I can't find a favorite one.

Thankfully, our communication with God need not be lost. As the song says, "You can hear from heaven almost any time!" All we have to do is to tune in, for He will be listening!


No comments:

Post a Comment