Monday, November 12, 2018

Ups and Downs

What a surprise to wake up to a winter wonderland! Snow coated everything this morning! I couldn't wait to don boots and wraps and tramp around getting a few shots on my phone. Relishing the warmth in the den, we stayed cozy inside until time for lunch. Howard suggested going for a burger, but I had perfectly good stew to warm up from yesterday. We could even have peach cobbler, leftover too.

I got the stew warmed up and set out bowls, but my spouse was interested in TV and was a little slow in responding. Oh well, it could wait a few minutes, I thought. The stew was getting cold, so I turned on the burner again, rewarmed it and filled our bowls. I noticed that it didn't seem that hot, though.

Just as we were sitting down, everything exploded! Pellets of glass and peach cobbler were shooting all over the stove and table! What happened? Then I realized why the stew was not warm. I had turned on the wrong burner, which was under the glass baking dish holding the cobbler!

Everything was ruined and I was traumatized, to say the least. After we got everything cleaned up, we went to town to eat! On the way back, we stopped and bought some gloves and a few other items, then got in the car. Suddenly an employee collecting carts came to our window with the news that we had a flat tire! She even took a phone pic and showed us! Thankfully, it was not far to a service station, so we made it home safely.

God has a way of turning an upside down day into a pleasant ending. I was making cabbage rolls for supper when the phone rang with a delightful call from my brother Johnny. Between our hilarious reminiscing of days gone by (he called to remind me of a blizzard on November 12 many years ago) and the warm memories we shared, I was cheered and thankful to sit down to a comforting supper raved over by a hungry husband!

No comments:

Post a Comment