Friday, January 27, 2017

Who Knew?

Getting ready to leave the house, I reached for my go-to accessory, a long strand of varied beads and shapes, but instead my hand fell on a necklace I hadn't worn in ages. Impulsively, I put the chain with the dangling hearts around my neck. One of the hearts was of scrolled metal design, and the smaller one was graced with a red bead inset. Somehow I'd always overlooked it in my jewelry cabinet drawer.

We had gathered with others at our friends' house for a Bible study. When the leader announced his teaching topic, it was on the heart! Maybe this is why I obeyed the impulse to wear the necklace, I thought. After all, it wasn't my favorite piece, and not nearly as pretty as the other one! But as the lesson unfolded, I learned many truths about the heart, especially the heart of God.

The Bible refers to David being a man after God's own heart. "And when he had removed him, he raised up unto them David to be their king; to whom also he gave testimony, and said, I have found David the son of Jesse, a man after mine own heart, which shall fulfill all my will." Acts 13:22. In other words, David would do what God wanted him to do!

Wednesday nights at church we have a fellowship dinner before our several sessions. We had gotten there early, so I had my choice of which table to join. We chatted with those at the table, then one couple got up to leave to make their places available to others coming in. I saw a friend enter and repositioned the chair next to me, thinking she would sit there. But when I turned around, she had passed our table and went to join other friends. I squelched my feelings, then someone else sat down that I was able to visit with.

Later, my friend did sit by me in our Bible Study. Ironically, the lesson was on overcoming feelings of being left out and not nurturing feelings of rejection! Later, in prayer time, this friend prayed for me and my sinus headache!

It's amazing how God goes ahead of us and prepares the way for us, at the same time teaching us a lesson on trust!

No comments:

Post a Comment