Sunday, January 29, 2017

Heartthoughts: HAPPY BIRTHDAY, 1/29/17

With three granddaughters' birthdays coming in January, all within 10 days of each other, I planned to shop for cards early in the month. But the weeks flew by, and I forgot! Just in time, I remembered, and set out in a hurry to get one for the granddaughter who lives locally. Her birthday was on the 21st.

I scrutinized the cards in the card shop, looking for one that had a big "25" on it, as she was reaching her 25th birthday. As her grandfather browsed, I picked up and put back several cards, trying to find just the right one. They had numerical birthdays for children and seniors, but none for my purposes. Not even age-appropriate ones that said "Granddaughter."

Finally I selected a lovely card, with sentiments of her accomplishments, bright future, and so on inside. (She had just received her teaching degree and had started a job teaching 4th grade.) Now to get it mailed! I didn't remember her house number, so we had passed by for a visual sighting earlier. I didn't have anything to write it down on, but I assured my husband I would remember it. Not! Another trip by her house refreshed my memory!

Since we needed something from the supermarket in which a postal station is housed, we headed there to drop off the card. I couldn't believe my eyes when I read "Post Office is Closed for Repairs. Sorry for the inconvenience"! What? Now we would barely have time to get to the main P.O.!

A few days later, I got cards for the younger girls. One was turning 18 on the 29th and the other 14 on the 31st. The previous card had required extra postage, so I took the soon-to-be 18-year-old's card to the main post office to see if one stamp was sufficient.

Guess what! There were 12 people ahead of me! Some went fast, then a lady with a shopping bag in her hand and carrying a couple of packages under her arm began her mailing. After the first two packages, she endlessly retrieved many other parcels from her bag, each requiring measuring, weighing, calculating, and stamping. The other window was occupied by a woman apparently filling out some form of application that lasted FOREVER! At last I found out I did need extra postage. I would place the youngest granddaughter's card on my mailbox at home!

Birthdays! Kids love them, and we love the kids, so we remember them! I got to thinking about our spiritual birthdays. Some people remember exactly where and when they took Jesus into their heart and were saved. Others, like me, cannot pin-point the date. There is a song that says something like, "I remember the time...I can take you to the place...when the Lord saved me..."

Well, the time for me was when the time was right, at age 13, and the place was at the place of my need! I heard someone say that just because you can't remember when you were born, it doesn't change the fact that you were born!

Thankfully, God doesn't forget our "birthday." He writes it down in the Lamb's book of Life. And if we think mailing cards is a lot of trouble, think what Jesus went through to provide our salvation and make our spiritual birthday possible! The angels already had our party, but one still awaits us!

No comments:

Post a Comment