Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Fired Up!

Multi-tasking as I cooked breakfast, stirring grits and having put leftover homemade pizza (delicious with all that sausage on top) in the oven, I was suddenly aware that smoke was pouring from the stove! I had been preparing some oven-fried bacon, and quickly yanked open the oven door. A kitchen towel lying on the oven door was on fire, one I recognized as one of a set my son got me for Christmas that I displayed on the oven bar.

How did that happen, I wondered! Then I noticed that half of the towel wasn't burnt, for it had hung outside the door while the other was caught inside without my knowing it! I shouldn't have set the oven on broil to hasten the bacon, I realized!

Smothering the flames with the unburnt end of the towel, I put the smoking wad on the enclosed back porch and went to rescue the bacon. Between calling my husband to get up and checking on the eggs frying in the skillet, I was too distracted to notice (my sense of smell is AWOL right now) that the kitchen was smoky again. I flung open the back door to a porch filled with smoke! The smoldering towel had re-ignited! This time I threw it on the back step and poured water on it! Thankfully, the ceiling fan cleared the air!

A few weeks ago, our church was having a "Ministry Fair," similar to a job fair, I guess, but it was to offer opportunities for people to get involved in areas of service in the church. My husband and I signed up for "Visitation Ministry." Yesterday the leader of the group called and asked us to call on one of the visitors from last Sunday. We are looking forward to meeting them and are glad to reach out in this way.

There are many ways of evangelizing, and verses in Jude 20-23 has admonitions concerning this. "But ye beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life. And of some have compassion, making a difference: And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh."

Other places in the Bible speaks of pulling them from the fire as a brand from the burning, Amos 4:11, Zechariah 3:2. The burning towel I pulled out reminded me of this. May we be an effective witness!

No comments:

Post a Comment