Friday, September 2, 2016

King of the Road

Oh happy day! The doctor has released my husband to drive!  That means I don't  have to be the sole driver anymore!  As we were riding along yesterday out to the country, I caught myself relishing the views out the window.  The clouds were so beautiful! The expanse of sky was so vast! I felt such an exhilaration and freedom as I was able to take my eyes from the road and enjoy the landscape passing by.

In town, I could look at the new shopping center going up and read the names of the stores! I could see the tomato man with his truck set up beside the road selling produce, jams and jellies, and fresh peaches! I could look at the bank clock until the temperature reading came on!

Then it occurred to me that when we move over and let Jesus be our driver in life,  the one in control, it brings a peace and contentment to our souls!  Why fret over something we can't manage or change, when we can turn it over to the Lord and relax and enjoy the scenery?  No longer do I grimly try to second-guess what the cars (or situations) approaching me will do.  Jesus knows what's going to happen in our (to us uncertain) future; He can see what's beyond the curve and take care of it!

I had been fretting over a deep scratch on my arm from a barbed-wire fence in our son's pasture. Probably should have had stitches, I fussed.  But each day, the wound dried up a little more, with a protective "nature's Band-Aid" forming in the scratch.  Finally, the unsightly scab began to crumble, then I worried about the scar.  Surprisingly, little by little, the mark began to fill in with fresh new growth as my miraculous body healed itself!

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvelous are they works; and that my soul knoweth quite well." Psalm 139:14.

The same God who directs our paths also planned the intricacies of our mortal bodies! I used to think that when a wound or sore became red and inflamed, it meant infection. But it is because an army of  red blood cells is rushing to the rescue, bringing circulation and healing! I don't have to worry about the process, because God has already provided for our eventualities and accidents.

"Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." I Peter 5:7. What a liberating thought that is! Why toss and turn and lose sleep when we can leave our worries to God? As someone once said, "He will be up all night anyway."  I might even be able to nap on trips when my husband is driving!

No comments:

Post a Comment