Thursday, September 15, 2016

Georgia on My Mind

"Mama, would you water my plants for me today?" my daughter asked as she prepared to leave for work.  Of course I would!  We were enjoying our stay at their house after they had driven 16 hours to come and get us, and then 16 hours to take us home with them.  Amy also set out a three-pot crockpot arrangement for me to put meat in for tonight's dinner. 

I set the crockpot indicators on low as daughter had instructed before Howard and I left for an outing in a nearby town.  We had a great afternoon, my getting to look in some favorite stores while my bookworm husband perused reading material at Barnes and Noble.  That was after a southern lunch at Bojangles, which specializes in fried chicken and biscuits.

Hurrying to get home later to water those plants, I was relieved to see we were there before our high school senior granddaughter got home. I put a couple items in the fridge that we had picked up, and went to check the crockpots. Funny I didn't smell anything, but even more incredible was when I removed the lids to find them empty! I hadn't put the meat in!  Mercy me!  I quickly threw everything in, including all the seasonings Amy had set out, and turned the pots to high!  Thankfully, pork chops cook quickly, but I'll probably have to finish them on the stove!

Being away from home is a mixed blessing. We love it, but we have to learn the complications of another household, such as the TV remote system, the kitchen range (they bought a new one), the laundry equipment,  even the quirks of the  AC in the automobile we are so generously given to drive. But the important thing is being with family!

Yesterday we got to visit our college granddaughter and see her new digs: a campus townhouse she shares with three other girls.  Their decorating skills were amazing, we noted as she proudly gave us the grand tour.  Little bouquets of dried flowers and seed pods in mason jars were grouped on end tables and shelves, a vine wreath with a burlap bow nestled cozily on a wall near verses and sayings in beautiful script, while artsy-craftsy signage was scattered tastefully throughout. The resourceful co-eds had fashioned a handy storage piece by attaching circular clamps to a wooden base to hold mason jars, which held toothbrushes, shampoo, and other necessities in the bathroom.

A trip to the grocery store was necessary, as granddaughter needed baking supplies to use in their kitchen.  Corrin loves to cook, even though she has a hotline to mom with questions of  measurements, techniques and ingredients. Needless to say, her table is a popular place! She texted pics to us later of the banana bread she had made. If it was as good as the Bananas Foster she served us there, it was amazing!

My capable, servant-hearted granddaughter reminds me of the busy hostess Martha in the Bible, but she has the spiritual hunger of a Mary as well.  She had a Bible study to go to that night and a meeting later with her "accountability partner." After my kitchen fiasco, I have no trouble believing that this petite little dynamo is a better "Martha" than me, and maybe a better "Mary" too! But that's okay! Don't we always want our kids (and grandkids) to be more than us?

No comments:

Post a Comment