Thursday, September 22, 2016

Act Now!

That is so cute! I mused to myself as I browsed in the housewares section of a store in Georgia where we are visiting.  I love mason jars as vases, and this one was bigger than the usual pint ones, with the stems of several floppy daisies anchored in a fixative at the bottom. Hmm, maybe I would look a little more, I thought, as several things caught my eye, and I didn't want to accumulate too much on this trip.

Exploring further in the quaint little town, my husband and I located the Christian bookstore/coffee shop we had been to before on our visits. The clearance table with an assortment of items attracted me, and I picked up a couple of small novelties with a Christian motif.  Then I saw a glass cutting board with an artistic coffee mug design and scripture quote on it.  Although I have cutting boards, this would be perfect in my kitchen, what with the coffee theme I have going on.  A little pricey, though, so I would think about it.

A few days later, my daughter and I were in the first store, and I wanted to show her the little vase of flowers.  It was gone!  We looked on several shelves, to no avail.  Nothing else appealed to me. So we left with nothing but the disappointment I was feeling.  Oh well, I didn't give it much more thought.

Then yesterday, Howard and I went back into the bookstore to get a book for our grandson, who will be three in November.  (I had recently seen a video of him "reading" a book--upside down and in French--with animated gestures and expression.)  Since he likes to pray at the table, this was a darling little book about prayer I had seen on our previous visit.  Passing by the clearance table, I felt a twinge of disappointment that the cutting board wasn't there.  The owner said they'd sold it the day before!

"Mama, you'll just have to get what you like when it's there!" my daughter exclaimed about my missing-out scenarios. I agreed. Later I thought about how altar calls are given in church and many people feel drawn to respond, but they think, Not right now, some other time. But the Bible says,   "Seek ye the Lord while he may be found; call ye upon him while he is near." Isaiah 55:6.

Verses 7-ll implore the unrighteous to return to the Lord, reminding man that "My thoughts are not your thoughts," and that His ways are higher than our ways.  That His word will not return void, but will accomplish the purpose for which He has sent it.

That's what I hope for the little book on prayer for Isaac.  That it will encourage his young desire to pray and accomplish the purpose of my sending it!

No comments:

Post a Comment