Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The Fountain of Youth

My husband received a special Christmas present from our granddaughter Bethany when we were in Tennessee over the holidays.  It was a volume of 300 hymns and their history!  He was ecstatic, but now I think I love it as much as he does!

I was reading the hymn-story of one of Fanny Crosby's songs, of which she  has written an amazing 3,500!  An ever-youthful soul by all reports, I liked what she said in her later years: "It means nothing to be eighty-four years of age, because I am still young! What is the use of growing old? People grow old because they are not cheerful, and cheerfulness is one of the greatest accomplishments in the world!"

Well, I'm all for cheerfulness, but it may be something I need to work on!  I was cheered yesterday, though, by a purchase we made. Ever since we moved here eight years ago, we have bought bottled water.  We just don't like the taste of the tap water here. Then a Facebook post by a resourceful niece, excited about a faucet water filtering device she had bought, prompted us to get one!

Why didn't we do this years ago!  The difference is amazing! I read on the enclosed brochure the many particles and substances filtered out for safety and improved taste. This morning I drank some of the filtered water, then tried a sip of tap water for comparison. Ugh! I quickly drank the other water that was so refreshing!

I thought of the story in the Bible when Jesus was offering the woman at the well living water.  His Living Water offered life as she had never known it!  She could be through with a lifestyle polluted with the carcinogens of sin, misery and futility, plus the poison of worthlessness and hopelessness. His refreshing Water gushed through her soul.  Overflowing with the vitality coursing within, she couldn't wait to bring others to Jesus!

"In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst,  let him come unto me, and drink, He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water," John 7:37-38.

Jesus said this at the Feast of Tabernacles, when the Jews carried water from the Pool of Siloam to pour into a basin at the altar of burnt offering. They did this every day for seven days.  Then on the eighth day, Jesus made this proclamation of  the offer of eternal life!

(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.) John 7:39.

The best way I know to stay young!  He is the Fountain of Youth!







No comments:

Post a Comment