Monday, January 11, 2016

Hidden Treasure

"Howard," I wailed to my husband, "I think I must  have left  my new gloves at the hotel where we stayed on our trip!"  I could only come to that conclusion, since I had searched high and low for the lovely gloves our daughter Amy had given me for Christmas!  They weren't in any coat pocket, drawer, purse, car or anywhere else I could think of.  I was heartsick, not only because I needed and wanted the gloves, but I was sure they were expensive!

I hadn't told Amy about my disappointment, not wanting her to think I was careless of her thoughtful gift.  Finally putting the missing gloves out of my mind, I bought a cheap little pair that were okay, but not the plush, warm gloves that had felt so delicious on my hands when I had tried them on.

The weather was warm while were in Georgia and Tennesee, so I  hadn't worn them, but I remembered taking them out and looking at them while staying overnight in Arkansas.  Howard had even called the place where we stayed, and they said they would check with Housekeeping, but no gloves had been turned in.  Probably kept them, I thought uncharitably.

A bitter cold front had come in Sunday, and I dressed in my warmest outfit for church, a black sweater and tweed skirt with black boots.  I opened the lid on the top portion of my jewelry cabinet to retrieve a red-beaded necklace I wanted to wear.  My eyes were stunned for a second as there, beside a small bag of accessories I had placed there after our trip, were my lost gloves!  I must have put them there in the disarray of unpacking!  I quickly put them on, and they looked positively sophisticated with my red jacket!  Thank you, Lord!

Later that morning the pastor was preaching about drawing closer to God, referencing Paul's words in Philippians 3:12,14: "Not as though I had  already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if I  may apprehend that for which I am  apprehended of Christ Jesus. (14) I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus."

It reminded me of the Bible being a treasure chest, where jewels of wisdom and faith are discovered by studying and meditating on His rich words and truths as we press on in Christian growth.  And like my jewelry chest, where I was surprised with a happy discovery, we often find things that are particularly meaningful and precious to us!

My jewelry cabinet has nothing of real value in it, just costume jewelry and beads I have collected over the years, but we ourselves are jewels of God as we think upon and talk of Him. "Then they that feared the Lord spake often to one another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the Lord, and thought upon his name.

And they shall be mine, saith the Lord of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him." Malachi 3:16-17.

No comments:

Post a Comment