Thursday, January 28, 2016

Look-Alikes

My brother noticed it first. I was a little skeptical when he mentioned it. Then I watched To Kill a Mockingbird  last night, and it's true!  My husband does look like Gregory Peck! I couldn't take my eyes off the actor as I noted the resemblance, especially so when Howard was  younger.  The black hair, the chin, the eyebrows and especially, the  dark-rimmed glasses! Also, the summer suit Peck wore was similar to Howard's seersucker suits he favors in warm weather.

Atticus, Peck's character, was portrayed as an upright, fair man of high principles.  The same can be said of my husband.  I don't know much about the actor's actual life, but I don't recall reading or hearing anything negative.

They say everyone  has a double somewhere.  Not that Howard is the movie star's double, but it was an interesting and flattering comparison, nonetheless. If I know my husband, though, the only image he would want to reflect is Jesus.

"Be ye therefore followers of God as dear children. And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling savour," Ephesians 5:1-2.

 As Christians, the Bible says we are to spread the knowledge and "sweet smell" of Him in every place, something I see Howard do daily. "Now thanks be unto God, which always causeth us to triumph in Christ, and maketh manifest the savour of his knowledge in every place. For we are unto God a sweet savour of Christ, in them that are saved, and in them that perish," 11 Corinthians 2:14-15.

I remember reading something a survivor of the Twin Towers of 9/11 wrote.  He said as he was descending  the stairs to escape the building, he met a fireman coming up.  The fireman carried a heavy coil of water hose on his back as he ascended the stairs. Their eyes met, and the man noticed an undefinable quality in the fireman's eyes.  Later, after the explosion that took the lives of the firemen and so many others, the grateful survivor said he knew it had been Jesus he had seen in the eyes of the fireman that day.

My husband has his Father's eyes.


,

No comments:

Post a Comment