Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Horns of a Dilemma

"Mama, I sent you a restaurant gift card by E-mail for Mother's Day," my daughter Amy said the other day on the phone.  "You won't have any trouble getting it printed, like last year, will you?" she asked guardedly.

"Oh, no," I said, "We can get it printed at the library."  None of our printers seem to be working, so we finally got around to going to the library yesterday.  Using a different computer feels strange to me, especially a public one with its own protocol.  It wasn't long till we called on the library attendant for help.

We pulled up our E-mail provider, but since we were not on our home computer, it wanted to know our password.  Password!  My mind went blank.  We never use it at home, because our web mail is on "favorites."  I wracked my brain until something came fuzzily to the surface, but it was rejected as "Incorrect password."

I clicked on "Help," and the advice was to change my password.  The typed message was "Give me a few minutes, please."  After what seemed an interminably long time, a new password was displayed.  I gladly entered it, but "Incorrect password" came up again.  Over and over we tried it, with more of "This may take a few minutes," messages, not to mention the summoning of the attendant again.

We left in frustration, knowing that now our old password would not work on our home computer, and maybe not the new one, either!  If our password was messed up, my granddaughter, whom I was considering asking for assistance, would not be able to help!  Miraculously, the new password was accepted, but, still, we didn't have a printer.

"Since we're going to Stillwater tomorrow," I suggested to my husband, "why don't we stop at Adam's and get him to print the certificate for us?"  A phone call to our grandson resulted in a "Yes, sure!" from our college man.  He gave me directions to his digs, and I won't go into how I couldn't program them into our GPS because of a bad connection, and our phone GPS was leading us in the wrong direction. We went to the general area, and, thanks to  a friendly mail carrier, we located his address.

Shortly I had the copy of the Mother's Day certificate safely in my purse. "When are you coming up?" I asked Adam as we were ready to leave.  Then a thought occurred to me. "How would you like a dog?" I asked on impulse, knowing he loved Pebbles, their family pet living with us.  I explained about my allergies, and he said, "I'll take her," to which  I said, "You mean it?"

"I want her," Adam said.  Why didn't I think of this sooner?  It was an answer to my prayers!  I knew he would love her, wrestle with her, and let her sleep on his bed! (Not my thing at all!) Thank you, Lord! We had lunch and finished our shopping in high spirits.  Now if only we had a Cracker Barrel to use my Mother's Day present!  (We'll save it for a road trip to another grandson's graduation soon!)


No comments:

Post a Comment