Sunday, May 24, 2015

A Lot at Stake!

Our steaks had come, and they looked delicious! We had decided to go to our local steak house, a splurge, but it would be something to do on a lonely, holiday weekend. My husband and I had already visited the salad bar, enjoying the array of fixin's and the warmly glowing atmosphere of immaculate, cloth-covered tables and attractive settings.  A tiny loaf of freshly baked bread sat on the table, and it tasted as good as it looked.

We had been enjoying watching the other diners, especially a large family of mixed generations, from tots to grandma, with the bright attraction of two pretty girls the center of attention.  It was graduation night, and they had obviously come for an early celebration dinner before ceremonies at the auditorium. I nudged Howard and looked on admiringly as they held hands around the table and bowed their heads for a blessing.

I couldn't wait to put my fork into the luscious-looking steak.  Howard was already swooning over his. He said it was just right, partly, I think, because I had urged him to order it medium-rare, instead of his usual medium-well, which was invariably too dry and chewy.

Something was odd.  My steak tasted like steak sauce, which I do not care for.  I ate a few more bites, trying to like it, but it had a sour, almost vinegary taste.  "Does yours taste like this?" I asked my husband, to which he replied that he liked steak sauce.  I sat there disappointed, wondering if I should say something to the server.  I hated to complain, and even have to wait for them to prepare another steak for me.

Well, it was expensive, so when the waitress passed by again, I told her it tasted sour.  She said they did not use steak sauce, but it might be the marinade!  She checked, and that is what it  was.  "Can I bring you another one without marinade?" the helpful lady offered.  I agreed, and resignedly prepared for a long wait, knowing Howard would be finished by the time it got there.  Thankfully, my steak appeared promptly, and then it was my turn to swoon.  It was heavenly!  It tasted like steak!

Thinking about this later, I was glad I spoke up.  Even though my husband thinks I am pretty outspoken, I really don't like to make waves.  I think a  lot of women are like this, just settling for less than the best, rather than cause an inconvenience.  Recently in our ladies' Bible study, Women of the Bible, we looked at Abigail, the wife of a wealthy, but stingy man, Nabal.

David had been hiding out from King Saul and was camped near Nabal's property and had protected Nabal's servants from marauders during a time of sheep shearing.  At one point, David's men were low on supplies, so David sent some of them to pay a visit to Nabal, asking politely for the favour of some provisions.  When churlish Nabal refused, quick-tempered David set out to attack the ungrateful rich man.  One of the servants overheard the plan and reported it to Abigail.

Abigail, "a woman of good understanding, and of a beautiful countenance," I Samuel 25:3, took matters into her own hands and loaded donkeys with bread, wine, meat, corn, raisins and figs, enough to feed an army, and placated warring David with her respectful, but brave manner, dissuading him from his plan to kill her husband and destroy his property, convincing him, as a man of God, not to needlessly shed blood.

The story ends with Nabal's death from a stroke after hearing about what almost happened to him, and David marrying Abigail. Sometimes it pays to speak up!


No comments:

Post a Comment