Thursday, May 14, 2015

Call Home

"Oh, we missed a call!" I said to my husband yesterday at the breakfast table.  I had gone into the bedroom to get the phone, and in surprise I exclaimed, "Corrin called! At 6:30 this morning!"  Our granddaughter in Georgia rarely calls us, and she would be in school several states away by this time, but I rang her phone, in case it was important.  There was no answer, but a few minutes later I heard the ping of a text.

"I wanted to ask for prayer for my friend's mom," it read, "I will call you later with details."  Sure enough, a couple hours later she called back, explaining her concern for a seemingly grave, mysterious illness of the lady.  I told her that  Pa-Pa wasn't present at the moment, and we would pray for her when he came home, but I would pray right then.

Afterwards, I could hear the emotion in her voice when she said, "That's why I wanted to call.  I wanted you to pray for me over the phone."  The 17-year-old called again later, even more concerned. She had said the mother of her best friend was like a second mom to her.  We were in the car, and I gave the phone to Howard to pray.  I knew she would be comforted by her grandfather's fervent prayers.

Last night when we got home from Bible study I texted our daughter to see how the patient was.  She responded that they could not find what was wrong with her, but that she was in a major hospital in Atlanta.  "We had prayer for her at church," I said, for after the Bible study, which broke up rather informally, I saw two women I knew as prayer warriors in the hall and had them pray with me.

When I said it was so sweet of Corrin to call us, Amy said, "She wanted to call at six this morning!  I told her she should just text, but she said, 'No, I want them to pray over the phone with me!'"

There is an old song called "The Royal Telephone," which compares prayer to a phone call to Jesus. It was written when telephone service was a new and novel thing, inspiring the songwriter with this Christian song.  While the song was popular and well received, I'm glad we don't need a telephone to talk to the Lord! He hears us without a telephone call when we pray, and we always have a direct connection with him!

The Bible says Jesus lives to make intercession for us! "Wherefore  he is able to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them," Hebrews 7:25!  Mark 16:19 says he sits on the right hand of God! And again, in Romans: "...It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us," Romans 8:34.

As much as grandparents love to pray for their grandchildren, it is nothing compared to Jesus' love for His children as He intercedes for us to God, His Father!


No comments:

Post a Comment