Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Sweet!

My husband needed some office supplies, so yesterday we stopped at Hobby Lobby.  Not a very likely place to find them, I thought, but since he usually browses the calligraphy section, I figured he must know of them.  When he was looking in art supplies for colored pencils, I suggested we check out crafts.  We did find them and the colored paper clips he wanted, too.  (He likes to color-code his notes.)

I hadn't been in the store for some time, since my house is quite full of decorative items, but I couldn't resist the temptation to peruse the beautiful displays and novel articles. "Look, these are 50% off," I pointed out, noticing antique-looking clocks and art objects.  We were headed toward the front, when a 66% off sign caught my eye, but I really didn't need anything.  But when I saw a section with 90% off, I stopped short!

Into my cart went a beautiful, tall, rectangular green glass vase, regularly $39.95 that I bought for $4! I love the way it catches the light in my living room, and I even found tall stems to fit into the bottle-like opening!  Another attractive piece was a ceramic container in the shape of a bunch of grapes, complete with lid that I couldn't pass up for $1.80, usually $17.95, and a half-bowl style straw basket, marked $12.49, for which I paid $1.25.  It is cute hung against the wall holding natural-toned wicker balls and decorative, dried pieces.

Checking out, I glanced across the store and was shocked to see an entire section filled with Halloween decor!  It's only early July!  I had stopped a clerk earlier to ask about pencils and wondered why she was pushing a cart incongruously filled with pumpkins! How time flies!  But of course, fall will be here before we know it, and the stores like to get a head start.

Psalm 90:12 says, "Teach us to number our days, that we may apply our hearts unto wisdom."  In fact, this whole psalm of Moses speaks of the brevity of life and how we should find our purpose in it. "For a thousand years in thy sight are but as yesterday when it is past, and as a watch in the night," 90:4.  Verse 10 tells us the days of our years are threescore years and ten, or fourscore by reason of strength.

I like the positive tone of verses 14-17:  "O satisfy us early with thy mercy, that we may rejoice and be glad all our days," (14).  "Let thy work appear unto thy servants, and thy glory unto their children,"(16). "And let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us: and establish the work of our hands upon us; yea, the work of our hands establish thou it," (17).

We all desire to leave some kind of permanent mark on the world (sometimes called the search for significance), but some things will only be realized in eternity, when all will be revealed.  Until then, we can serve the Lord and be glad!

No comments:

Post a Comment