Thursday, July 10, 2014

Good Day

"Jesus knows me, this I love," I read on the church sign we were passing.  I like that! I thought.  A new slant on the words of a song familiar to all, from child to adult!  I love the little surprises that each day holds. They stimulate and refresh my mind and my mood. I was so glad we got out of the house today.

My first surprise was waking up this morning to the sound of heavy rain.  It continued steadily for a couple of hours, during which I did laundry and routine tasks, then the sun came out.  "Let's go somewhere!" I said to my husband.  By that time we'd had lunch and he was feeling lethargic. He'd been at the gym earlier and was a little tired from the work-out.

We decided to drive the 20+ miles to Ark City, just over the Kansas/Oklahoma line.  There was a music store there that Howard likes to visit, and I wanted to browse around a new area. We parked on the main street of the small country town and walked down the sidewalk in the wonderful, unseasonably cool and pleasant weather to a clothing shop.

We have the same store at home, but it is in a plain, unattractive plaza.  Here, the picturesque old buildings towered over the street giving a feeling of the old-fashioned down towns we used to know. I felt positively buoyed as we walked into the store.  Seasonal sales were going on, and I rifled through the racks, but nothing suited.

"Are there more sales in the rest of the store?" I asked a customer, who told me there was more farther back.  I picked up a couple of tops that I liked, though they were still expensive, even on sale.  I was debating whether to get them, when I saw a stack of cute shirts for a fraction of that price!  But all the pretty ones were in tiny sizes.  Coming out of the dressing room, I noticed more on a rack I had not seen.  Several were in my size.  And they were cute!  I got them!  Finding a bargain. What a nice surprise!

I was happy to accompany my husband to the guitar store where he strummed on and tried out several instruments, thoroughly enjoying himself.  My phone sounded with a call from our son, Trevor, who was boarding a cruise ship with his family. I knew they were going, but it was a bright spot on my day that he had called!

On the way home, we stopped for gas, which was surprisingly cheaper than any we had seen, and Howard asked if I wanted a drink or snack.  I was in the mood for ice cream, and inside the convenience store I noticed a display freezer of novelty treats. Snicker candy bar ice cream?  I'd never had that before, but it was delicious!  Another new experience!

I made liver and onions with bacon for supper, something I hadn't made in years, and then a new recipe of broccoli salad.  Everything was delicious!  After supper Face Time showed up on my phone with my 8-month-old grandson, Isaac filling the screen.  Nothing could have pleased us more, and soon his big sisters' sweet faces appeared as well.  7-year-old Anne-Marie filled me in on the names of exotic-sounding animals she had learned at Vacation Bible School, and 5-year-old Maddie bounced around, telling me her bo-bo was better.  What a lovely day!                

Today I viewed a video of the miracle of a pre-born baby's development and his entry into life. What a wonderful God we have who has created us!  The mother of one of my friends has lived a long life and is nearing the end of her earthly journey.  She relates glimpses of her heavenly home with sights of loved ones, beautiful music and wonderful peace.  She is getting ready to enter the real life God has prepared for her, for which this life is only a preparation.  Thank You, God, for life! And thank You that Jesus loves me, this I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment