Saturday, March 1, 2014

What Next?

"Ooh, that looks like rockets flying!" I exclaimed as I looked up to see fresh-cut french fries shooting every which way.  "Or more like Spud-nik," I joked.  Our daughter-in-law was trying out a food slicing tool and had put in a very large potato. She pressed the long lever fastened to a cast iron push-block with all her might, forcing the potato through the small squares of the cutting blade. That's when it exploded onto the floor. It was funny, but I don't think they got my joke, not having lived in the days of Sputnik.

We had told them we would come out, but we decided to stop by the grocery store first.  There we ran into friends from our former church who said there would be a gathering at Braum's to have ice cream for the pastor's birthday and invited us to drop by.  It was for two o'clock, and it was already one, but at the next store we ran in and got a birthday card and started the short distance home to put away the groceries.  Not having had lunch and famished by this time, we grabbed a burger and got back just in time for the celebration.

Seeing friends and catching up was fun, as was this brief visit with our kids.  The weather was turning iffy and we were under a winter weather advisory, so home seemed like the best place to be. I occupied myself with making a pumpkin pie while Howard practiced a song he is to lead in church tomorrow.

He had planned to go to the Saturday night singing and asked me to fix a quick bite before he left. I hastily warmed up some leftovers, and with the pie, we had a satisfying supper. Glancing out the window, I noticed a coating on the car windshield and told Howard it looked like ice.  He wasn't worried, though, and continued to get ready.

About that time the phone rang.  It was our  kids.  "Dad, we were in Walmart for only about 10 minutes, and when we came out, our windshield was covered with ice.  Be careful if you drive." Howard went out to check the car, and they called again.  "It's getting slippery out there," they cautioned him.  I'm glad he decided to stay home.

We're making sure the phone is charged and checking our supply of candles in case we need them. Snow, ice and single-digit temperatures are predicted for tomorrow, making me wonder about church in the morning.  Just so it warms up by the weekend, when we're scheduled to visit family down south and celebrate our granddaughter's birthday.  Those are the only kind of candles I want to think about now!

No comments:

Post a Comment