Saturday, March 29, 2014

Food for Thought

"Look! The tomato man is there!" my husband exclaimed as we passed a vendor's truck in a parking lot as we drove to town. "We should stop and see if he has any honey!" he suggested.  I could see the man was ready to close, since he was putting his goods into boxes.  Howard turned off at the nearest intersection and headed back.

We have been on a nature kick lately, especially as far as food is concerned. We found "local" honey from the Ark City area, just a few miles beyond the state line.  Also homemade, seedless, blackberry jelly. The price was high, but it should be worth it to get something natural.

We couldn't wait for breakfast the next morning, and when we realized we were out of eggs, I used the tidbit of sausage I found for gravy to go with the biscuits I made. The honey and blackberry jelly we slathered on them made us feel like we were eating at Cracker Barrel!

After a busy day, we couldn't decide what to have for supper, considering ordering pizza or going out, since it was a Friday night.  We had thought about going to see the "Noah" movie, but from the reviews I read it sounded pretty intense, so we didn't go.  "Why don't I get a couple of steaks from the store?" Howard suggested.  We do have a nice meat market close by, so I agreed.

The steaks were wonderful, and at a fraction of a restaurant meal!  I hadn't grilled steaks any time in my immediate memory!  Relaxing after supper, I tuned in a Gaither Homecoming program.  The featured guest was Sandi Patty, the incredible soprano with what Bill Gaither called "that flawless voice."  I'd never been a great fan of hers, but by the time the program was over I was a convert.

Gaither featured clips of her memorable performances, and when Sandi sang "We Shall Behold Him," I joined in with its author sitting nearby, the late Dottie Rambo, in raising my hands in praise. Then I was lifted to unbelievable heights along with her voice when I heard a presentation on which she sang her rendition of The Star-Spangled Banner. It was in July, 1986, when ABC used her recording to close a Statue of Liberty celebration, set to a soaring background of images inspiring patriotism for our country.

That's when America was still America! I couldn't help thinking, as the inspiring words, "America, America," soared as high as the clouds in the visual montage.  The words from 2 Chronicles 7:14, "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land," came to mind as I thought about the condition our country is in.

"If my people...called by name..."  Until recently, America was known as a Christian nation--called by His name!  I think there is a longing in many American hearts to return to old-fashioned values and wholesome lifestyles.  Maybe that is part of why I long for the land, and the fruits of harvest as in former times when I was growing up and all we knew were natural foods. The answer is in the Bible.  Take heed, America!

No comments:

Post a Comment