Friday, March 28, 2014

(Extra-) Ordinary Day

"Lord, bless my wife and make this the best day she's ever had," Howard concluded his prayer. It was not that unusual, since my husband often speaks in superlatives, but yesterday came pretty close to perfect.

He woke up with a yen for a McDonald's sausage biscuit, but I suggested we eat at home. I dug out the waffle iron and made breakfast while he washed and sliced strawberries. We enjoyed it with delicious glasses of milk from a nearby farm.

Then I told him I had read two great stories in Guideposts, and I agreed when he wanted me to read them to him at the breakfast table. Just when I had made myself presentable (thankfully), the iPad sounded with Baby Isaac on the screen. Face Time! We were so happy to see all three of our youngest son's children! Maddie, 5, filled me in on friends who had dropped by that morning whose dog got out while there and used the neighbor's yard for a doggie rest stop. I found out the scrape I could see on her elbow was a carpet burn from church. She didn't say so, but I could just see her running down the hall and falling!

I asked serious, blonde Anne-Marie what she does in Home School Enrichment, and she gave me a detailed schedule of her day, including math, science, creative writing, spelling, lunch and recess. Then she recited a long, Shakespearean-type poem for me! She is seven.

I checked the weather outside and it was glorious! A chance to have lunch on the porch! Howard wanted a chef salad, so I boiled an egg while he got out salad makings and added cheese, ham, avocado and green onions to the bowl. Served on our colorful, deep-dish plates, it was delicious, and made all the more pleasant with my view of our neighbor's beautiful forsythia bush blooming right outside our screened porch. We topped off our lunch with leftover homemade cherry pie I had warmed and served a la mode.

We drove to our son's house in the country after lunch, since I had to pick up some classroom supplies and explore a kit for kid's church that we are going to co-teach with him. After our planning discussion, I couldn't resist the sunshine calling me from the beautiful new deck he has built. I could see the recently-planted garden from there, and I had to see what was coming up. Lettuce, onions and other little green things are popping out of the ground!

"Will you have time to fix me something to eat before I go back to help work on the truck?" Howard asked when we got home. I thawed some chicken, applied barbecue sauce and put it in the oven with potatoes to bake for an hour. With corn and green beans, it made a tasty, if hurried, supper.

What a wonderful day it had been. The temperature reached 79, but it dropped to the 30's last night and is cold and disagreeable today. The Bible tells us not to boast of tomorrow, because we do not know what a day may bring forth. But I can be thankful for yesterday, and the prayer my husband prayed!

No comments:

Post a Comment