Saturday, June 1, 2013

What is So Rare as a Day in June?

What a blessing that God gave us such a beautiful day today after the tempestuous bad weather lately!  Today was the annual Herb Festival that is so much anticipated every year, not only by locals, but by folks from far and wide who come to participate, shop, browse, discover, exclaim and just generally have a good time.  It is held at Cann Gardens, a beautiful venue any time of the year and a perfect setting for the displays of crafts, plants, shabby chic and re-purposed furniture, and artsy clothing, to name a few, not to mention food, both homemade and that sold at food stalls.

We set out at mid-morning into the dazzling sunshine and perfect temperatures.  Parking was almost non-existent, and the space we found was quite far removed from the festivities.  I noticed a conveyance (I think called a Mule) parked in the street in front of us, and called out to the driver, "Are you shuttling people?"  Turns out he had been delivering something, but he said yes and waited until my husband parked the car in the tight space.  We clambered aboard and were thankful for being saved some steps!

Right away I saw a cute wicker plant stand at a reasonable price among all kinds of yard furniture and various and sundry items scattered under trees and upon the grass.  Much of it was tempting, and all of it was interesting.  A booth of bright patchwork pillows and braided rugs took my eye, and I stuffed a couple of them into the plant stand for Howard to carry.  I was looking for a hanging basket or fern for my porch, but  I didn't see anything in my price range. 

After looking our eyes out in fascination, we were hungry and checked out the food booths.  Lines were long and prices were high, so we left to get a bite elsewhere, after which we would visit an estate sale, our only vice. A few trinkets were gathered there-- the ubiquitous small hand tools and kitchen items--but the house was fascinating with its surprise rooms: A glassed-wall plant room under sky lights, bedrooms tucked in unexpected places, stairs, and rooms that went on forever. Brick terraces, a pool, and other amenities along with lots of nostalgic items (toys and games from our children's era, children's books, record collections) made for an entertaining half hour.

We still had to buy groceries, and as were waiting to check out at Aldi's, I noticed the customers in front of us were having a subdued conversation with the checker, who moved items away from their order.  After they had walked away with half of their food, I knew the young couple didn't have enough money. In a whisper, I told my husband, and he offered to pay for their groceries still on the counter. 

They smiled and protested briefly, then the wife asked if she could help me sack my groceries while hers were being re-tallied.  I learned she had a new baby, and that they used to go to church, but not so much since the baby came.  I told her about our church, but I didn't press her.  Again in the parking lot, they were grateful and friendly.  It felt good to help someone in need.

We even got to go back to the Herb festival and find a hanging plant, reduced by this time.  Thank you God, for a great day!
                                                                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment