Wednesday, June 19, 2013

The Report of the Lord

Ring-g! I dashed for the phone, thinking it might be my daughter. I'd been trying to get her for an update on our grandaughter Corrin's condition on her first day home from the hospital. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the name on the caller ID! Corrin!

"Corrin? Is that you?" I asked incredulously. She had not spoken since the trauma of the accident, except for a few muttered sounds and grunts, due to her mouth injuries and swollen tongue from the airway tube worn for days.

"Hi, Mimi," I heard clearly from a sweet voice that was a only a little blurred around the edges. I was overcome with relief and delight! She sounded like her old self! After exclaiming over her, I finally gave her the chance to talk. "I can't smile because my lip is sutured," she said stiffly.

She managed to tell me she was doing a lot better, even drinking some liquids. "I had a smoothie, some pedia-sure and some soda," she said. "I even went downstairs by myself today!" What wonderful news! Her mother said that in the hospital she would only stare at the wall with no interest nor ability to get up. Finally, they had gotten her up and friends took her out to the garden of the hospital. After that, her mom managed to get her released. And home was doing her so much good!

"Sweetheart, I'm so sorry you had to go through all this," I spoke into the phone. I was surprised by her answer: "It made me a better person." I didn't know whether to laugh or cry at this heart-touching admission, so mature sounding from this deeply spiritual 15-year-old.

"Mama said you wanted to read me something," she reminded me. I found the passage in the Bible and read all of Psalm 42 to her. It deals with the psalmist's deep longing for God, who seems remote and distant.

"Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you disquieted within me? Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him for the help of His countenance," verse 5, and repeated in verse 11, which ends with, "For I shall yet praise Him, The help of my countenance and my God."

And I could tell that was exactly what God was doing in my granddaughter's life! I can't wait to hear what progress she makes today!

No comments:

Post a Comment