Wednesday, April 18, 2012

The Treasures of an Ordinary Day

"I love you, Mimi! I love your presents," Joy said, in the midst of opening another birthday gift, but still casting her eye on the birthday bag I had given her. Aww! And I was wondering if the things I bought were too young for a 7-year-old, or if they would pale in the presence of her new bike, clothes, and other important gifts from the rest of the family.

Howard and I had stopped at the dollar store where I had perused the miscellany of possibilities. "It's fun to buy for kids when you don't have the responsibility of a big gift," I remarked to my husband. I was looking for a ball and jacks, but I picked up a Bible coloring book (I liked it because it had memory verses in it), pen-like crayons that extended with a click, hair accessories, a paddle ball and a paint-by-number kitten picture, and still had enough for polk-a-dot tissue wrap and a card from a $10 bill! Joy had fun pulling the mysterious shapes from the bag.

Who knew that the little things would bring a smile and please so much? As I thought about it later, the memory bringing a smile of my own, I reflected on how God sends little blessings to us, filling out the unexpected places of our day with bright blips of happiness: Funny things grandchildren say, shared with us by their bemused parents ("Daddy, working in the garden is like the old days, except instead of cooking, the women are in the house facebooking!" --9-year-old Mackenzie. Or 5-year-old Anne-Marie mixing up the joke, Why-is-six-afraid-of-seven? Instead of saying, because 7 8 9, she says "Because of 6 and 20.")

Then there are the precious pictures sent via internet of glimpses into their everyday lives--from birthday parties and zoo trips of the little ones, to proms, sleepovers, and mugging shots from their own cameras in teen narcissism. ("I look awesome!"..grandson, Brad, 12.)

Spring sunshine, the antics of the dog or cat, unexpected bargains or blessings..("Would you like one of our chocolate chip cookies?" the young waitress says as she comes to our table with a basket of warm, wrapped parcels of heaven. "How much?" my wary husband asks. "They're free!" she responds.)

The happy weariness of my just-retired husband as he comes in grubby and knee-stained from putting out tomato plants and onion sets; cooking for an appreciative family; giving teenagers a free pass, picking up the slack on their turn at dishes; a Bible verse in a sermon standing out with personal meaning in a church service...

All these and so many more from our Heavenly Father who is the Master Gift-Giver!

No comments:

Post a Comment