Thursday, April 19, 2012

Duo Do-Over

When the monthly church calendar came out, I was surprised to see, after the speaker's name for April 17, Song: Thelma Summers. They knew I didn't sing, but since a poem or reading was also acceptable, I usually read a selection from one of my books when my turn came to participate. Hmm. I had been thinking of a certain song lately. Maybe I would sing, I thought, if I could get my husband to help me and play along on the guitar.

I didn't refer to the calendar again, but about a week ago, I realized my "date" was the following Wednesday. I cajoled Howard into saying he would sing with me, but he is a procrastinator when something isn't his idea, and soon it would be the next day! We had to practice! (If hanging curtains together is the test of a marriage, that is nothing compared to trying to sing together!) Not only was he vague on the words, but he has a unique sense of timing--which is fine for a solo, but tough on a partner!

Nevertheless, with the help of YouTube, we ironed everything out, and breathing a prayer, we set out for church the other night, armed with the verses copied in very large letters and his best guitar. (The other one was already at church.)

The service moved along rather swiftly, I thought, then just before the speaker took the pulpit, the evening singer was announced. "Would you please welcome Sister Betty and Sister Sally to sing tonight," I was shocked to hear! While relief and confusion swept over me, Howard was giving me quizzical looks from where he sat on the platform with his guitar. Did I get the date wrong? As soon as church was over, I rushed to the back and checked the calendar. It was next week!

During the announcements, the pastor had surprised us again by saying that next Wednesday night's message would be brought by Brother Howard Summers. (We simply must stop misplacing our calendar!) Well, it would be a double-header, with him helping me sing!

I think the Lord worked it out, though. If my husband had had to learn and practice a song when he was under pressure to prepare a sermon, he probably wouldn't have helped me. Now we have already practiced and a simple run-through should suffice. (I can't imagine what the people were thinking when Howard showed up with two guitars!)

No comments:

Post a Comment