Thursday, April 12, 2012

Little Things Mean a Lot

Today a friend knocked at the door asking if my husband were home. Howard joined him on the front porch for a chat in the adirondack chairs, which turned into a lengthy visit, something my husband is able to enjoy now that he is finally retired.

"What did David have to say?" I asked when my spouse finally came in.

"He brought me something," Howard announced, looking pleased. When he pulled it from his pocket, my mind went back to the conversation we had Sunday when our friend and his wife were over for Easter dinner.

"I've been keeping my angels busy lately," Howard had ventured. He was referring to a minor scrape we'd had on our trip, then a few days later, he bumped a car while backing out. "It was in my blind spot," he explained.

"You need some safety mirrors," David offered, "little mirrors you stick on your side view mirrors." Why hadn't we thought of that! I'd seen those "fish eye" mirrors on cars before.

Howard had a couple of little shiny, convex mirrors in his hand that David had brought him! How nice! We went out immediately and attached them. What a difference! Our vision was improved remarkably. We drove to town, and I noticed one on another car right away. I felt good, knowing we had them, too.

People don't often take time to be so thoughtful, especially men, and it was a real mark of caring to share a handy little gadget like that. I guess some things just strike a chord with men, like something that happened the other day. We had just gotten home from our trip and were sitting in church before the service started.

"What's that?" I asked Howard as I noticed a tiny purple item that had fallen out his Bible; then I realized it was a plastic guitar pick. "Pick Jesus," I read when I saw the gold letters on it. How cute! I thought.

"I got it for Pastor at the Billy Graham Library bookstore," he surprised me by saying. How sweet that he would think of that, and not say anything about it! Just a little gesture between two guitar enthusiasts, but the pastor was surprised and pleased.

Maybe men are not so unthoughtful after all! It just has to strike a chord! (No pun intended.)

No comments:

Post a Comment